Turbochargers have changed the way people look at diesel engines. Living with a turboed engine isn’t just easier, the turbo’s benefits also cover outright performance and efficiency, among other things. The 5.9 Cummins is one of the strongest engines out there when it comes to diesel trucks. And a 5.9 Cummins turbo upgrade can be the sure-shot way of making the engine ready for most scenarios you’d want to throw at it.
- The 5 Best Turbos for 5.9 Cummins:
- Our Recommendations
- REVIEWS YOU CAN TRUST
- Cost-Effective Replacement: Henyee’s HX35/HX35W Turbo for Dodge Ram 5.9 Cummins – the best turbo for 5.9 cummins
- Basic Upgrade: Blackhorse-Racing HX35 HX35W
- For the older trucks: CXRacing’s HX35W for 96-98 5.9 Cummins
- CARB-approved: Stigan Turbo 5.9 Cummins turbocharger
- Respectable all-rounder: CF Power Turbocharger for Dodge Ram 5.9 Cummins
- What is the Best Turbo for 5.9 Cummins?
The 5 Best Turbos for 5.9 Cummins:
- Henyee’s HX35/HX35W Turbo for Dodge Ram 5.9 Cummins – the best turbo for 5.9 cummins
- Blackhorse-Racing HX35 HX35W
- CXRacing’s HX35W for 96-98 5.9 Cummins
- Stigan Turbo 5.9 Cummins turbocharger
- CF Power Turbocharger for Dodge Ram 5.9 Cummins
REVIEWS YOU CAN TRUST
We strive to always give you genuine, accurate information. To do this, all of mechanicguides.com reviews are based on market research, expert input, and practical experience. This knowledge comes from a team of automotive journalists and an independent mechanic, Steve “Whip” Whipple who has 11 years of experience in the auto industry. For more information, see here.
Cost-Effective Replacement: Henyee’s HX35/HX35W Turbo for Dodge Ram 5.9 Cummins – the best turbo for 5.9 cummins
- Application:Fit for 1999~2002 Dodge Ram 2500/3500 Cummins 5.9L Truck 6BT ISB Engine M/T. (NOTE: NOT fit for 2002 24v Cummins)
- Reference Part Number: 3592767, 3800799, 3592766, 3800797, 3590104, 3800797, 3590104, 3538881
- Horsepower: Up to 270hp, Flange: Standard T3 Flange
- Multi-Discipline tests, like balance, housing durability, wheel load limits, sealing, etc. are carried to enhance the quality of every unit
- Turbo Rebuild Kit Matched: Please search B07SCJ59K7 for the best matches
Given that the 5.9 Cummins last made it to the Ram trucks in 2007, it’s completely understandable if you don’t want to completely drain your life savings on replacing a turbo. If you’re looking at replacing the stock turbocharger with an aftermarket unit, Henyee’s HX35 promises to be a good cost-effective choice.
Compatible with 1999-2002 5.9 Cummins
It’s compatible with 5.9 Cummins Dodge Ram 2500 and Ram 3500 trucks within the model years 1999 – 2002 except for the later 2002 24v Cummins 5.9. The replacement turbo comes with a 4-inch exhaust and a 2.875-inch intake and comes with an internal wastegate.
What do we think of it?
The HX35 is a replacement turbo part, so if you’re looking to rebuild the one on your 5.9 Cummins Ram, this can be an inexpensive choice. Users need to be wary of the fact that since it’s a generic unit, even though you do save some money getting this, the after-sales/warranty support, like what you’d get with the more established brands, is unlikely to be available.
- Low cost
- Claimed to be rigorously tested
- Generic part, so warranty/support questionable
Basic Upgrade: Blackhorse-Racing HX35 HX35W
- ▶ Fitment: Compatible with 1999~2002 Dodge RAM 2500/3500 5.9L（except 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Base Extended Cab Pickup 2-Door 5.9L）
- ▶ Turbo Model: HX35W;Horsepower: Up to 270hp;Flange: Standard T3; Wastegate/Actuator: YES; Exhaust Outlet/Inlet: 4"
- ▶ Manufacturer Part Number: 3592766;Interchange Part Number: 3592767, 3800799, 3592766, 3800797, 3590104.
- ▶ Gross Weight: 7kg (15.4lbs); Exhaust pipe diameter:102mm (4")
- ▶ Turbocharger significantly increases engine horsepower; increases engine power and torque output; maintains combustion chamber pressure and fuel/air load
The Blackhorse-Racing HX35 turbocharger kit is made for Dodge Ram 2500 and Ram 3500 trucks made with the model year 1999, 2000, 2001, and 2002, except for the 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Base Extended Cab. Its appeal as the best turbocharger for 5.9 Cummins lies, like the Henyee model above, in its low-cost.
To be installed by a professional
It’s priced very close to the unbranded/generic turbos but comes with the same set of features. It comes with a wastegate/actuator, standard T3 flange, and an exhaust diameter of 4 inches. Blackhorse-Racing insists that this is to be fitted only at a professional shop, and the Amazon listing suggests instructions aren’t included. It weighs just 7 kg, and users have praised it for a good fit.
What do we think of it?
As a cost-effective choice, the Blackhorse-Racing’s turbo seems hard to ignore, once you consider its price. There’s not much else to be expected from it, though.
- Low cost
- Good fit
- Still a basic stock replacement
For the older trucks: CXRacing’s HX35W for 96-98 5.9 Cummins
- HX35W 3539369 Diesel Turbo Charger For 1996-1998 Dodge Ram Truck with Cummins 6BT 5.9L Diesel Engine, Auto Transmission . Replace Factory Turbo 180 HP
- Air Inlet: 4", Compressed Air Outlet: 2.25" V-band, Bearing: Journal Bearing Turbine
- Turbine Housing Flange: Standard T3, Exhaust Outlet: V-Band, 180HP, Oil Cooled
- Wastegate PSI: 22.9 PSI or 1.58 bar
- High Quality Turbo, Each one is Computer Balanced and Tested.
If you have an older 5.9 Cummins and want to carry out a turbo replacement, CXRacing’s HX35W makes for one very affordable choice. It’s not as expensive as a stock unit but comes computer-balanced and is compatible with 1996 – 1998 Dodge Ram 2500 and Ram 3500 trucks.
Comes with a warranty
A 60-day warranty comes standard, but we’d suggest you cross-check with the seller before making the purchase — because that can be different across various sellers. It’s rated at 180 hp power, comes with standard T3 flange, has a wastegate pressure of 22.9 PSI, and has a 4-inch inlet (exhaust) and a 2.25-inch outlet for compressed air.
What do we think about it?
The 1996-1998 5.9 Cummins Dodge Ram 2500/3500 might not be the newest truck around, but the stock parts still wouldn’t come cheap. If you’re looking at a replacement turbo, the CXRacing HX35W may just be the part for your beloved truck, especially if you don’t want to spend a lot.
- Low price
- Compatibility with older models
CARB-approved: Stigan Turbo 5.9 Cummins turbocharger
- Two year, unlimited-mileage warranty. Guaranteed Exact Fit for easy installation
- Exact fit replacement for the original turbo. No modifications required
- Every component is BRAND NEW - Nothing remanufactured!
- Designed, manufactured and tested to optimize performance and durability
- This Turbocharger is CARB-approved and 50-state emissions legal
Compatible with 5.9 Cummins 1999-2002 Dodge Ram 2500 and Ram 3500 trucks, the Stigan Turbocharger 847-1009 might be a bit more expensive than the others mentioned here, but it’s got two solid tricks up its sleeve.
CARB-exempt and 2-year warranty
The Stigan turbo comes with two solid plus points. Firstly, it’s CARB-exempt and legal in 50 states. So if you’re in California, buying and installing this turbo won’t be a problem for you. In addition to that, it’s the only one here that comes with a full 24-month/unlimited mileage warranty against defects in materials and workmanship. Here’s a small caveat though: since the seller has a warranty included as well, we suggest you confirm what you’ll get before making a purchase.
Stigan claims apart from the numerous advantages it offers on its replacement turbochargers, the fact that it’s made of K18 Iconel alloy makes the unit more resistant to heat. Users have mentioned that it fits well, too.
What do we think of it?
The Stigan Turbocharger here is one of the more expensive choices on the list, but with its 2-year warranty and CARB status, we feel it’s worth the extra buck.
- CARB exempt
- 2-year warranty
Respectable all-rounder: CF Power Turbocharger for Dodge Ram 5.9 Cummins
- This is a 100% brand new turbocharger. Engineered to or exceed OEM's standards.
- Engine: 5.9L 359Cu. In. l6 DIESEL OHV Turbocharged
- Free domestic shipping from Brea, CA, USA.
- All our stock replacement turbochargers are warranted against defects in material and workmanship for a period of one year from the date of original invoice.
- Please read the product description below for details regarding its applications, part numbers, etc.
With the replacement turbochargers, we’re thankfully looking at choices that won’t break the bank. And at an intermediate cost, the CF Power turbocharger seems to offer the best of both worlds: good value and solid features.
Standard 12-month warranty
The CF Power turbo for 5.9 Cummins comes with a one-year warranty against manufacturing defects (materials and workmanship both). There’s also a 30-day return window provided you don’t use the part. It’s made for the later 5.9 Cummins Dodge Ram 2500 and 3500 trucks (model years 2004-2007), and CF Power also includes a gasket in the package.
What do we think of it?
At a price less than that of the Stigan model (mentioned above), the CF Power includes more peace of mind than the generic turbochargers.
- 12-month warranty
- Good fit
- Gasket is included
What is the Best Turbo for 5.9 Cummins?
Getting a replacement turbocharger for your 5.9 Cummins Dodge Ram 2500/3500 shouldn’t be difficult. And with the list of options mentioned here, it should be even easier.
So, if you want to run the truck in California, the CARB-exempt Stigan is the one for you. Its supremacy is further accentuated with the help of its 2-year warranty. The CF Power is less expensive but still offers a year-long warranty and compatibility with the latest 5.9 Cummins trucks. On the other hand, CX Racing’s replacement turbo is for older trucks. And among the two least expensive ones, that is the Henyee and Blackhorse-Racing, the latter seems to be a better deal. Like all parts, turbochargers need to be run-in before you put them to serious use, like towing. So keep that in mind, and one last tip – we’d recommend you do your 5.9 Cummins turbo upgrade is at a professional shop.
Injectors For 24V Cummins
Oil Filter For 6.7 Cummins
Upgrades For 6.7 Cummins
Most Common 6.7 Cummins Problems
Tuner For 5.9 Cummins
Cold Air Intake For 6.7 Cummins
Injectors For 5.9 Cummins
Exhaust For 6.7 Cummins
Turbo Upgrade For 5.9 Cummins
5.9 Cummins Water Pump
Types Of Cummins Engines
Diesel Tuner For 6.7 Cummins
Turbo For 6.7 Cummins
Batteries For 5.9 Cummins
Cold Air Intake For 5.9 Cummins
Fuel Filter For 6.7 Cummins
Exhaust For 5.9 Cummins
Delete Kit For 6.7 Cummins