- The 5 Best Oil for 6.7 Powerstroke:
- Our Recommendations
- REVIEWS YOU CAN TRUST
- The ideal all-rounder: Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic 5W-40 Diesel Engine Oil – the best oil for 6.7 Powerstroke
- Direct offering from Ford: Motorcraft SAE 5W-40 Full Synthetic Diesel Motor Oil
- Long-lasting and up to the job: Lucas Oil Magnum 15W-40 Synthetic Oil
- Conventional but solid offering: Genuine Ford Fluid Motorcraft XO-15W40 Super Duty Diesel Motor Oil
- One for your motor’s internals: Schaeffer 700 SynShield Durability Advantage Engine Oil 15W-40
- What’s the best oil for 6.7 Powerstroke?
Changing your truck’s engine oil at regular intervals isn’t just good maintenance, it’s the absolute best way to keep the engine running optimally throughout its life. As the heart of any truck, the engine requires proper lubrication to avoid internal damage or dirt and sludge build-up. Luckily, changing your vehicle’s oil doesn’t cost a lot and is a fairly simple process. In this article, we will look at the best oil for Ford’s 6.7 Powerstroke and why it’s important to spend on good quality oil.
The 5 Best Oil for 6.7 Powerstroke:
- Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic 5W-40 Diesel Engine Oil – the best oil for 6.7 Powerstroke
- Motorcraft SAE 5W-40 Full Synthetic Diesel Motor Oil
- Lucas Oil Magnum 15W-40 Synthetic Oil
- Genuine Ford Fluid Motorcraft XO-15W40 Super Duty Diesel Motor Oil
- Schaeffer 700 SynShield Durability Advantage Engine Oil 15W-40
REVIEWS YOU CAN TRUST
We strive to always give you genuine, accurate information. To do this, all of mechanicguides.com reviews are based on market research, expert input, and practical experience. This knowledge comes from a team of automotive journalists and an independent mechanic, Steve “Whip” Whipple who has 11 years of experience in the auto industry. For more information, see here.
The ideal all-rounder: Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic 5W-40 Diesel Engine Oil – the best oil for 6.7 Powerstroke
- Full synthetic 5W-40 diesel engine oil with Triple Protection Plus technology protects against wear, deposits, oil breakdown, and improves low-temperature flow
- Exceptional wear protection for longer life in a wide range of heavy-duty engine applications — from pickup trucks to tractors to semi rigs
- Enhanced fuel economy capability of 1.5 percent without compromising engine protection or durability (compared to 15W-40 oils)
- Multi-functional dispersant additives provide an enhanced level of protection against the effects of soot, dirt, and other contaminants (compared to previous formulation)
- Increased shear stability for better viscosity control and optimal engine oil pressure
Let’s move onto something that’s a bit of a no-brainer, the Shell Rotella T6. For many 6.7 Powerstroke users, this fully synthetic option is the go-to oil thanks to its all-round capabilities. It does a good job of resisting viscosity loss through shear and will maintain the optimal pressure of your 6.7 Powerstroke. Additionally, the oil also helps maintain emission compliance and heat resistance with its formulation of synthetic base oils.
Guaranteed improvement in gas mileage and smoothness
This fully synthetic 5W-40 oil for 6.7 Powerstroke promises noticeable improvements in fuel efficiency and smoothness, as mentioned by users who’ve noticed their truck’s mileage and smoothness improving after the break-in period. The users also state that this oil has resulted in quicker cold startups and less knocking when the motor is cold. Adding to the all-round appeal, Shell’s Rotella T6 can be used in all Powerstroke applications be it the Super Duty series, the Chassis Cab range, or the F650/F750 medium-duty trucks.
Why do we like it?
Shell Rotella T6 fully synthetic oil is exactly what your 6.7 Powerstroke needs to work consistently in changing environments. As we said earlier, it’s a no-brainer choice given the fact that it comes from Shell, one of the leading producers of motor oils. The brand makes some of the best synthetic oils for a wide variety of vehicles and the Rotella T6 is no exception. It reacts efficiently to the different temperatures and requirements of the metal-to-metal contact points in the 6.7 Powerstroke at different speeds. Overall, it’s the ideal spec and grade of oil for your truck if you are seeking more gas mileage and smoothness out of your machine.
- All-round performance
- Improved gas mileage and smoothness
Direct offering from Ford: Motorcraft SAE 5W-40 Full Synthetic Diesel Motor Oil
- Country Of Origin: United States
- Model Number: XO-5W40-5Q3SD
- Item Package Dimension: 10.0" L x 11.0" W x 12.0" H
- Item Package Weight: 12.0 lb
This aftermarket offering from Ford itself is meant for heavy-duty applications. The best part of using a genuine OEM fluid is that you can rely on the high quality and effectiveness of the oil without thinking whether the grade of oil would work in sequence with your truck.
Recommended particularly for Powerstroke applications
Meant for service and overworked Powerstroke engine trucks, Motorcraft’s SAE 5W-40 is particularly recommended if you use your truck for transport, construction, or hauling purposes. This high-performance motor oil has been formulated using synthetic base oils and provides decent control over soot. Motorcraft also claims to protect against rust, corrosion, and high-temperature oxidation and thickening. All in all, it’s a good choice if you drive a Powerstroke Super Duty or Chassis Cab series truck made from 2011 till now.
Why do we like it?
This particular brand and grade of oil not only protects the exhaust after-treatment systems such as particulate filters from the old Powerstroke versions, but it’s also good for new generation motors which are low on emissions.
- Made specifically for Powerstroke engines
- Cheaper alternatives available
Long-lasting and up to the job: Lucas Oil Magnum 15W-40 Synthetic Oil
- For best performance, follow the manufacturer's recommendations in your vehicle owner’s manual.
You can always count on Lucas’ Magnum line of oils to give you the ideal amount of wear protection and make the emission control systems in your truck last longer, thanks to the premium additives. It’s good synthetic oil that will keep up with how you use your truck and if the past is any indication, it gives the motor better oil pressure, as reported by many users.
Lasts twice as long as conventional 15W-40 oil
The additives used by Lucas are the highlight of this particular oil. You can expect less oil consumption and reduced engine wear if you happen to drive a high mileage truck. Lucas’ offering here is likely to make it quieter and smoother sounding than before. Overall, we’ve heard plenty of good things about it, but the packaging can be improved. There have been instances where buyers have received poorly packaged jugs leading to oil leaks. That said, this isn’t a common issue and certainly not a deal breaker so if you are looking for a long-lasting synthetic oil for your Powerstroke Ford pick-up (2011-present), Lucas’ Magnum 15W-40 synthetic oil is worth a try.
Why do we like it?
The key benefits of using this oil are reduced engine wear and oil consumption. Although it’s primary application is in heavy-duty diesel engines like Ford’s Powerstroke, it can also be used in gasoline engines, so if you also have a gas-powered truck, you can save time by buying in bulk and using the same oil for both engines.
- Reduced engine wear and oil consumption
- Packaging can be improved
Conventional but solid offering: Genuine Ford Fluid Motorcraft XO-15W40 Super Duty Diesel Motor Oil
- High-quality diesel engine oil formulated with premium hydro processed base oils and unique additive technology
- Package Dimensions: 11.176 L x 28.447 H x 23.114 W (centimeters)
- Package Weight : 4.263 kilograms
- Country of Origin : United States
When you spend so much on a Super Duty truck, you want it to last, and for that, you need to keep its motor lubricated with oil that’s specifically recommended for it. Motorcraft’s Super Duty 15W-40 is a fairly high-quality diesel engine oil formulated with hydro-processed base oils and unique additive technology.
Effective over a wide temperature range
Motorcraft’s XO-15W40 Super Duty oil is known to work well in normal and warm climates as well as cold regions. In fact, this oil is recommended for use in Powerstroke motors over a wide temperature range, from down to -20°F (-29°C) to up to 100°F (38°C). Speaking of compatibility, as its name suggests, this second option from Motorcraft is best suited to Ford’s Super Duty range of trucks from 2011 to present day.
Why do we like it?
Generally, the Powerstroke range isn’t tied to any particular grade of oil. They usually run rich with fuel at times so if you’re looking to opt for conventional (synthetic) motor oil, there is hardly a better option than this. It works well under wide temperature ranges and more importantly, it also effectively minimizes engine deposits and wear.
- Suitable for both warm and cold weather running
One for your motor’s internals: Schaeffer 700 SynShield Durability Advantage Engine Oil 15W-40
- Excellent wear protection during severe operating conditions
- Oil durability: strong oxidation and viscosity control with less oil consumption
- Better contamination control with superior soot-busting, deposit-dispersing capability
- Strong stay-in-grade performance throughout the life of the oil
- Friction modified with micron moly and penetrate
Schaeffer is among the better known oil brands out there and its 700 SynShield, although not fully synthetic, is a popular choice among Powerstroke users. This 15W-40 grade motor oil provides good durability and longevity even under harsh operating conditions. Using Schaeffer’s patented friction modifiers, the oil comes with a slippery, tenacious shield that prevents metal-to-metal contact. This added layer of durability protection reduces wear on bearings, rings, pistons, cylinders and valve trains.
Improved wear protection for durability
If you aim to keep or run your truck for years to come, Schaeffer’s 700 SynShield is probably your best bet thanks to its proven wear protection. The oil has been formulated to offer high degrees of protection against wear, oxidation, and deposit formation. In terms of real-world improvements, most of the users have seen their 6.7 Powerstroke hold much better oil pressure than other 15W-40 oils, which is always good. Sure, it costs a bit more than some of the other oils, but it’s worth the premium given its performance and the brand’s reliability. It’s suitable for use in all Powerstroke models that utilize heavy exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) and exhaust after-treatment devices such as diesel particulate filters (DPFs).
Why do we like it?
Besides being easy on the motor’s internals, Schaeffer’s 700 SynShield has superior low instability characteristics to control oil consumption. This basically means there is less oil loss in extreme conditions which results in efficient combustion.
- Good for long-term usage
- Improved wear protection
- Some users have experienced louder engine performance with this oil
What’s the best oil for 6.7 Powerstroke?
There are plenty of options when it comes to picking the best oil for your 6.7 Powerstroke. If you are looking to stick to products from Ford’s own line-up, then, Motorcraft’s SAE 5W-40 Full Synthetic Diesel Motor Oil makes sense. It offers good protection against oxidation and is specifically made for Powerstroke engines. Next up, is the Lucas Oil Magnum 15W-40 Synthetic Oil which offers reduced engine wear and oil consumption. The other option from Motorcraft, the XO-15W40 Super Duty Diesel Motor Oil works efficiently under a wide temperature range and more importantly, it minimizes engine deposits and wear. Schaeffer’s 700 SynShield Durability Advantage Engine Oil, as we know, is the easiest on the motor’s internals, meaning it’s bound to be good for long-term usage. Lastly, we have Shell Rotella T6 fully synthetic oil that guarantees.
Exhaust For 7.3 Powerstroke
Air Filter For 6.0 Powerstroke
Tuner For 6.7 Powerstroke
Tuner For 7.3 Powerstroke
Tuner For 6.0 Powerstroke
Air Filter For 7.3 Powerstroke
Oil For 6.7 Powerstroke
Oil For 6.0 Powerstroke
Cold Air Intake For 6.7 Powerstroke
Tuner For 6.4 Powerstroke
6.0 Powerstroke Heads
Oil Filter For 6.7 Powerstroke
How to Increase MPG For 6.7 Powerstroke