Hi, so here’s the thing, I drive a truck, and sometimes a rig, and one of my biggest issues has been compartmentalizing my tools and other accessories. I am a bit of a control freak when it comes to my tools and stuff, so I did a lot of research and decided that there was no one perfect solution for every item. There are many solutions for many items.
Let me explain, imagine your toolset, you can either put them all in one big box, and they get all jumbled up together and then it takes you hours of searching through that jumble of iron until you find the right one or you can place them in a compartmentalized unit that provides proper tool storage.
- The 5 Best Truck Tool Boxes:
- REVIEWS YOU CAN TRUST
- Enjoy my top 10 best truck toolboxes:
- 1. Giantex: Aluminum Truck Pickup ATV Tool Box – the best truck tool box
- 2. Montezuma: Portable Tool Box
- 3. Brait: BR302B Aluminum Tool Box for ATV Storage Truck Pickup RV
- 4. UWS: EC20422 34″ Trailer Tongue Box with Low Profile
- 5. Hi-Standard Outfitters: Polaris XP 900 Ranger Lockable Aluminum Storage/Tool Box
- 6. UnderCover: SC100D Silverado/Sierra 1500-3500 Drivers Side Toolbox
- 7. Ironton: 5-Drawer 21-inch Black Steel Truck Tool Box
- 8. Buyers Products: Black Steel Underbody Truck Box
- 9. Dee Zee: 4.3114G M207 Specialty Series Utility Box
- 10. Auto Dynasty: 42″x18″x16″ Aluminum Pickup Truck Bed Trailer Key Lock
The 5 Best Truck Tool Boxes:
- Giantex: Aluminum Truck Pickup ATV Tool Box – the best truck tool box
- Montezuma: Portable Tool Box
- Brait: BR302B Aluminum Tool Box for ATV Storage Truck Pickup RV
- UWS: EC20422 34″ Trailer Tongue Box with Low Profile
- Hi-Standard Outfitters: Polaris XP 900 Ranger Lockable Aluminum Storage/Tool Box
REVIEWS YOU CAN TRUST
We strive to always give you genuine, accurate information. To do this, all of mechanicguides.com reviews are based on market research, expert input, and practical experience. This knowledge comes from a team of automotive journalists and an independent mechanic, Steve “Whip” Whipple who has 11 years of experience in the auto industry. For more information, see here.
Now there are your rags and bags that get thrown all over the place, these I like to keep in a good old-fashioned box, together with the heavy items such as hammers and axes.
As you can see, storage is all about providing the right facility for the correct items. This isn’t rocket science, you don’t need to understand how they build these boxes, because, honestly, it’s a no-brainer. They are all made from various reinforced metal sheets, either aluminum (standard and lightweight) or steel at various levels of strength.
The biggest issues with buying a truck toolbox are the following:
Fit: How big is your space, and what can you place in it, the fit is key before you go out and buy a truck tool box. I suggest you measure the area you want to use for storage and then consider the following options. Do you want your toolbox to be free or do you want it fixed? If you want it fixed, do you want it permanently fixed, or perhaps with the ability to unlatch it from it holding clips? These are important questions to consider because each one will define what else you need to buy to assure you can fix your new truck toolbox in place.
Size: You have the dimensions of the space your toolbox is going to fit into, now its time to buy a truck toolbox. The only issue here is that you are limited to manufacturer dimensions. So you need to make sure your new truck toolbox will fit into the space you drew. Only buy a box that is smaller than the dimensions, (duh, no-brainer here).
Shape: This is also a major concern, not all spaces are rectangular, and not all boxes are identical. Some need to be adjusted to the area you want the box to fit into, and others need to conform to your boxes contents. So, make sure you are not thinking in 2 dimensions. Plan the entire space according to the fit in 3 dimensions and the content of the box as well as the internal compartments required.
Functionality: There are three functions to all the best truck toolboxes, these are strength, compartmentalization, and durability. Strength requires different materials, such as a stainless-steel truck toolbox for securing standard tools en-masse. Or perhaps aluminum for storing bits and pieces and spare parts. Compartments can be one big space or many specialized holding sections for specific tools. Durability is how long will your box last before you beat the crap out of it. This also relates to how strong is to from tampering or thieving hands. Does it have a good lock? How strong are the hinges?
As you can read from my review, a truck toolbox is not just a box of metal to lug into your van or truck. It’s a professional storage item that has a specific task to perform. This is why truck toolboxes needed a review and why I am presenting you with my pick of the best truck chest tool boxes for 2019.
As I started out when writing this review, there is not much to really go into detail around standard truck toolboxes so I will make all the reviews in a standard format, making the comparison easier for you to read. All reviews will provide the following details:
Enjoy my top 10 best truck toolboxes:
1. Giantex: Aluminum Truck Pickup ATV Tool Box – the best truck tool box
- Overall Dimension: 49"(L) X 15"(W) X 15 1/5"(H)
- Package Include: 1 X Aluminum Truck Tool Box 2 X Key
- Save Space And Provide Extra Storage
- Heavy Duty Aluminum Tread Plate
- Heavy-Duty Aluminum Construction
Giantex is an American company that ships out their products all over the world. They have a great standard approach to this industry. It’s a no-frills box for general storage.
Dimensions: 49″Long x 15″ Wide x 15″ high.
This is just a long box with a key lock and is shiny and nice. It will look good in any truck or SUV. It has only one large compartment, and as such is good for storing just about anything. The lock comes with two keys, so make sure you don’t lose them.
Check out this Giantex review video:
- DURABLE TOOL STORAGE CHEST: The Montezuma portable TRIANGE tool storage chest is made for the tradesperson who demands durability, reliability, and long-lasting integrity to protect their valuable tools.
- KEEPS TOOLS ORGANIZED: The portable tool chest for work trucks utilizes a multi-tiered design that allows you to see your tools at a glance, access them easily, and keep them well-organized.
- HEAVY-DUTY STEEL TOOLBOX: The tool storage chest is made from high-quality steel with professionally welded seams (not spot welded) and assembled with precision. This keeps your SAE or Metric tools safe and extends the lifespan of your toolbox.
- GAS SPRINGS FOR EASY ACCESS: The toolbox is built with gas springs that raise the lid and socket tray when unlatched for easy tool storage and access to storage underneath.
- WEATHER RESISTANT: Montezuma manufactures our toolboxes and storage equipment to stand up against the elements. We include a water-resistant seal on the lid to protect your valuable tools against dust and moisture.
Montezuma specializes in small storage solutions, and they are not your average company. They take care in developing each product, and you can see that in the detail and precision of their work.
What I like about Montezuma is that they take every consideration into account before releasing a product on top the market. This also goes to show you that they respect the client and would only give you something that they would use themselves.
Shape: Triangular, High.
Dimensions: Varied by the box you want, they come in 22.5” to 36” and are all similar in detail. The 36” box has the following dimensions: Width 36.85 in, Height 21.5 in, Depth 18.07 in.
Material: Steel and is covered in a matt black powder coating, or in polished steel.
Their 36” toolbox is 16-gallon strong steel construction with waterproofed seams and a lock cylinder. When closed the box is secure from rain or dust. All the seams are fully welded, and the overall finish is excellent.
I have two of their boxes, a 36” and a 25”, and believe you me this is a must toolbox for the organized individual. The photo I add here for reference is to show off how well organized this toolbox can be in the right ownership. Since it is so well compartmentalized, I do supplement this box with a standard long rectangular box for my heavy duty tools such as hammers and large ratchets and stuff.
- Pickup/truck toolbox
- Stainless steel t bar lock
- Rubber weather seal to resist dust and water
- The lid/top might take additional 1 1/4 inch in open position, depending on installation
Brait is an American company that provides a number of solutions for car and home. They have a nice approach to their design and provide replacement parts of their products based on what part usually goes wrong first.
Dimensions: 30″ Long x 13″ Wide x 13″ high.
Material: Aluminum (Tread Plate)
This toolbox comes in either shiny Aluminum or black. It has a pull out inner box, so you actually get two compartments in one space. This is a standard rectangular box that is useful for storing spare parts and tools. It comes with a rubber seal, so your box is weatherproof.
This item comes with a double lock, not your standard single lock, which I find leads to a stronger sealing solution, especially when using my 4 x 4 on rough construction sites. If unsecured, the box gets chucked around, a double lock is always better than a single one, that if opens, ends up throwing all your contents around the back of the truck.
- TRAILER TONGUE MOUNT. This trailer tool box is uniquely built to mount onto the tongue of a trailer and provide secure storage of locks, wheel chocks, electrical equipment, straps and other trailer accessories
- RIGIDCORE LID. This trailer box is built for maximum lid strength with patented RigidCore technology. The lid is filled with a solid foam that maximizes structural integrity and helps prevent binding. The low-profile lid also provides more clearance
- EXTRA-THICK ALUMINUM. UWS aluminum tool boxes are constructed with thicker aluminum compared to most aluminum tool boxes for superior strength. This gloss black trailer tongue tool box features a one-piece tub made from welded 0.058-inch aluminum
- STAINLESS STEEL HANDLE. This trailer storage box is equipped with a stainless steel locking handle for dependable security and long-lasting operation in spite of the elements
- EASY TO INSTALL. UWS trailer tongue storage boxes are available in different sizes and finishes to accommodate a variety of trailers and preferences. This trailer box is intended to mount on a straight-tongue trailer (mounting hardware not included)
UWS is an American company that specializes in aluminum trailer tongue boxes. A trailer tongue toolbox is a trapezoid, which means that the back of the rectangle is longer than the front, making this box specific for mounting on a straight-tongue trailer.
Dimensions: 32.88″ Long Base, 19.88” Long Front, x 15.88″ Wide x 12″ high.
Material: Aluminum (Tread Plate)
This unique item is welded solid so that it is totally weatherproof. It has a stainless-steel locking mechanism for added strength. It is designed to be placed outside, so they added a foam core into their roof, which is a sandwiched foam between two aluminum plates.
The lid opens all the way, so you get full access to the contents. This is a single compartment tub, so I don’t recommend it for storing all your delicate tools, it’s great spare parts and standard toolbox, and is great if you have a trailer.
- Lightweight, 18
- Welded for air and water-tight fit
- Installation instructions and all mounting hardware included
- Fits: All Polaris Ranger Models
Hi-Standard Outfitters specializes in fitting toolboxes for Polaris S&S utility vehicles. This niche requires some special talent since the toolboxes have to conform to specific dimensions and be capable of taking a lot of punishment.
Dimensions: Depends on the Polaris model
Material: Aluminum (Diamond Plate)
Custom Made Aluminum Storage Consoles are all made from 1/8″ thick, diamond plate aluminum. The company secures the box to the floor and makes sure it’s totally rattle free. The boxes come with 2 cam and key locks. The lid and box lining is sealed with foam to assure all weatherproofing.
This is a classic example of how a low-profile truck toolbox should be made to fit into a defined space. So, if you are a Polaris or other service vehicle owner, call up Hi Power Outfitters and arrange for them to fit you in their toolbox.
Note: All boxes are fitted with risers on one end since the Polaris floored is angled, the box is secured to be 900 horizontally flush.
- Lockable Storage Solution. Swings Out for Easy Access
- 75lb Weight Capacity. Bed Size - 5 feet 8 inches
- 1-Year Warranty. Made in the USA. Features single point twist lock; Easy on, easy off, without using any tools. Take your gear with you - it even stands upright on its own
- Note-for trucks with bed rugs, it will be necessary to cut slots in the material. Do not recommended to install the brackets on top of the bed rug
- Note-for trucks with plastic bed liners, it will be necessary to trim the liner. Do not install the brackets on top of the bed liner
Undercover is an American company specializing in toolboxes and accessories for trucks. This is their special toolbox for Silverado trucks and is designed to be stored securely, easy to access and durable.
Dimensions: Specific to your car model
This specific toolbox is well designed for comfort and quick access. It is easy to install and use and is a really good accessory for your Silverado or Sierra truck. The toolbox is bracket mounted and is designed to hold up to 75 lbs in weight. You swing out the unit when using and lock it back into place when finished. This is the most secure truck tool box I have found.
- Quick-release base allows the tool box to be easily removed when more truck bed space is needed
- Each drawer rolls smoothly on easy-glide ball bearing sliders
- Made to work with bed liners, Tonneau covers and bed caps
- Tough steel construction with durable powder-coat finish
Ironton is a brand of high-quality products including well designed and crafted storage management solutions. Ironton is a brand of Northerntool.com.
Dimensions: 21” Length x 10 11/32” Width x 22 3/5” High
Material: Steel, Black powder coated
The formidable and highly useful Ironton® 5-Drawer Black Truck Tool was designed to mount an 8-foot truck bed. They are positioned on either side of the wheel well and include a quick release base for efficient usage.
I have found these toolboxes to be great, I mean really great. They are sturdy, reliable and compartmentalized. Each unit has a Lockable drop-down front door and houses five drawers that sit on ball bearing sliders that provide both smooth opening and closing as well as a sturdy support for heavy contents.
The drawer dimensions are:
3 drawers x 5 7/16” Width x 18 ¼” Depth x 3 11/16” Height.,
2 drawers x 5 7/16” Width x 18 ¼” Depth x 1 ¾” Height.
- Black Steel Underbody Truck Box: Keep tools and equipment safe with this professional grade truck box. Made with durable, powder-coated 14 Ga steel, it has a locking stainless steel compression latch to guard against weather and theft
- Built To Last: This corrosion-resistant truck box is designed for the long haul with aircraft grade cables and a replaceable gasket sealing system. Mount on either a flat surface or under-bed
- More Than Just Parts: From snow and ice equipment to toolboxes, hydraulics, towing, truck and trailer hardware to our innovative lighting products—it’s amazing what Buyers Products can do for your truck
- We Do Things The Right Way: We design products like we we’re building them for ourselves, because we are. Our teams are staffed with engineers and experts who know how to make a product exceptional
- Durable and Dependable: Founded in 1946, Buyers Products has become a leader in the truck equipment industry though our commitment to customer care, innovation, and value across our range of products
Buyers products company is an American company that specializes in a lot of products especially in various toolboxes for trucks. They have a vast catalog of various toolboxes and can be easily searched using different search parameters.
Dimensions: 24” Wide x 24 Height x 36” Depth
Material: Carbon Steel (14 Gauge)
This is a strong and durable steel toolbox that comes with a 3-point locking system. It can be mounted on the surface or under-bed of any truck. However, it is a one compartment unit, so it is great for storing your work gloves and heavy equipment, maybe some spare parts.
The unit part number is 1734305 24x24x36 Inch Black Steel Underbody Truck Box With 3-Point Latch and you will need to consider buying these additional parts for installation:
1701015 24x24 Inch Welded Black Structural Steel Mounting Brackets
1701016 24x24 Inch Welded Black Formed Steel Mounting Brackets
- Non-Rusting 0.056 Brite-Tread Aluminum w/ Protective Gloss Black Powder Coat
- Perfect For ATV's - Mounting Hardware Included
- Lockable Stainless Steel Paddle Handle
- Provides Universal Storage Options
- L: 36" x W: 13" x H: 13" and Vol: 3 cu. ft.
Dee Zee is an American toolbox manufacturer that has solutions for many storage locations. Amongst one these are their ATV toolbox that comes in two sizes.
Dimensions: 2 cu. ft.: 35″ x 12″ x 9”, or 3 cu. ft.35″ x 12″ x 12.5″
Material: Aluminum Tread Plate with Black Powder Coating
This is a very good and useful toolbox that comes with all the installation components. It is a sturdy box, a single compartment style and has been designed specifically for ATV’s which means it comes with dampened gas shock absorbers and a closed cell foam gasket.
- 5 Bar Tread Pattern Strengthens the Aluminum for Maximum Durability
- Box Conveniently Mounts in Vehicles Truck Bed for Space Saving Storage
- Over-Hanging Lip Resists Water from Getting Inside, Providing Ease of Mind in any Weather Condition
- Built-in Lock Ensures all Items are kept Safe and Secure
- 42"(L) x 18"(W) x 17"(H) Overall Size / 42"(L) x 18"(W) x 16"(H) Storage Box Size
Auto Dynasty has developed a range of toolboxes that are sturdy and reliable. They have a range of heavy duty single compartment solutions.
Dimensions: 42″ Length x 18″ Width x 17″ High
This is another standard single compartment box with a sturdy design, a double locking mechanism, and a fully opening top. I chose this black truck toolbox because it is well fabricated, clear and clean welding lines and a very good paint job.
Best truck tool box tips
While I did give some tips at the start of this review, I will conclude with these bonus tips and advice from over 40 years of hauling:
You will find that most contractors and freelance engineers will never be apart from their toolboxes. Most of them have more than one and each box is chosen for a specific task. It doesn’t matter where you live, all self-conscious and proud contractors will make sure their boxes are sturdy, weatherproof, ergonomically designed and durable. They will also pair a box to a specific content type.
So, the first thing you have to do is select your style of box. There are only two styles to choose from:
Cross, or saddle boxes and chests. Cross-boxes are the easiest to work with, they are also the largest and are designed to sit across the truck bed and provide access from the side as well as the top.
If you intend to store expensive equipment, and honestly, all equipment is expensive. In fact, you will find every contractor has a personal relationship with their tools…kinky. But honestly, most contractors will make sure all their tools are clean after use and positioned properly. They will store every type of tool, from a common screwdriver to an expensive brand drill.
This is why it is imperative that your toolbox is weatherproof, and not just from rain, but from dust too. You also want a toolbox that will be durable during the seasons and not suffer from extreme cold or heat. Make sure the connections are sturdy and oiled and that the box lid linings have a rubber or polymer connection lining to assure waterproofing.
Access to the box is critical, you can spend a lot of money on a box that makes access hard, so it’s no good. You want to be able to reach your tools quickly and easily and not have to fumble around in the dark.
You should have a double locking mechanism if possible since double locks are harder to crack open over rough terrain, they are also more secure against thieves.
You might want to consider a gas lift or hydraulic lift for the heavier toolbox lids. Make sure that the opening and closing mechanism is free from constraints and that you don’t need to apply any pressure to either action.
For material, I strongly suggest steel, it beats aluminum hands down in any contest. For a permanently fixed box, the difference in weight is negligible for a sturdy truck, and good stainless or carbon steel is much harder to penetrate, which is good for security. However, if you are using a mobile box, one that will require you take with you, then only choose aluminum, since the difference in weight is extreme when you have to lift it and not the truck.
Garage Door Rollers
Tool Chest Under 1000
Garage Door Insulation Kit
Screwdrivers For Mechanics
Engine Oil Additive
Throttle Body Cleaner
Truck Tool Box
Automotive Paint Gun For Beginners
383 Stroker Kit
4L60E Rebuild Kit
110V Stick Welder
Pittsburgh Tools Review
Garage Floor Cleaner