All engines, whether they have EFI systems or standard engine components, require an occasional clean, especially if you are into performance driving or long road trips. The two most common cleaning operations include fuel injection systems and throttle bodies. The fuel injection systems are cleaned by professional services, and best left at that. Throttle body cleaning is a much simpler operation and can be performed by anyone with a basic understanding of car engine mechanics.
Cleaning a throttle body will improve the car’s performance, will improve MPG, and will improve power and torque performance. The best way to notice a declining throttle body is by feeling for a rough idle, stumbling initial acceleration or even stalling.
Take peek inside your throttle body, notice how full of gunk, resins, carbon deposits and unknown substances that just like to cover hidden surfaces.
In this article, I present you with two throttle cleaning fluid options and three throttle cleaning brush sets. Cleaning fluids are essentially different formulations of Methanol, Topline and Acetone with a CO2 pressurized gas as venting agent. Throttle body cleaners come with no Naphtha content, as such, they do not leave a residue.
Brushes are even more basic and they come in steel variations using nylon. The top rated brush sets will come with at least 15 pieces of varying diameters including brushes and needles.
Here is the list of the 5 top rated throttle body cleaner kits on the market today.
- The 5 Best Throttle Body Cleaners:
- List of Top-Rated Throttle body cleaners Comparison Table:
- REVIEWS YOU CAN TRUST
- The Best Throttle body cleaners Reviews & Buyer’s Guide:
- 1. CRC 05678 Throttle Body & Air Intake Cleaner – 5 Wt Oz – the best throttle body cleaner
- 2. Mopar 4897156AC Throttle Body Cleaner – 13 oz. Aerosol Can
- 3. homEdge Carburetor Cleaning Tool Kits, Carb Carburetor Jet Cleaner for ATV, UTV, Motorcycle Moped
- 4. Wedfeir Carburetors Carbon Dirt Jet Remove Cleaner Tool Kit
- 5. Ridgeyard Carburetor Carbon Dirt Jet Remove Tool Kit
- How to clean a Throttle Body
The 5 Best Throttle Body Cleaners:
- CRC 05678 Throttle Body & Air Intake Cleaner – 5 Wt Oz – the best throttle body cleaner
- Mopar 4897156AC Throttle Body Cleaner – 13 oz. Aerosol Can
- homEdge Carburetor Cleaning Tool Kits, Carb Carburetor Jet Cleaner for ATV, UTV, Motorcycle Moped
- Wedfeir Carburetors Carbon Dirt Jet Remove Cleaner Tool Kit
- Ridgeyard Carburetor Carbon Dirt Jet Remove Tool Kit
List of Top-Rated Throttle body cleaners Comparison Table:
REVIEWS YOU CAN TRUST
We strive to always give you genuine, accurate information. To do this, all of mechanicguides.com reviews are based on market research, expert input, and practical experience. This knowledge comes from a team of automotive journalists and an independent mechanic, Steve “Whip” Whipple who has 11 years of experience in the auto industry. For more information, see here.
The Best Throttle body cleaners Reviews & Buyer’s Guide:
1. CRC 05678 Throttle Body & Air Intake Cleaner – 5 Wt Oz – the best throttle body cleaner
- Cleans air-intakes, throttle valves, throttle bodies and linkages .
- For use on fuel-injected gasoline engines (both throttle body and multi-port).
- Safe for use on coated throttle bodies
- Low VOC formula.
This is CRC 05678 Throttle Body & Air Intake Cleaner in an aerosol can
The CRC cleaner is a basic acetone cleaner that comes in aerosol form. As such it is highly flammable and must be stored in a cool and dark place.
This brand is used for cleaning throttle bodies and eliminates the gummy accumulations with ease. One sprays and wait a few moments, then apply the brushes.
- 6 oz aerosol spray can
- Acetone – Highly Flammable
A standard acetone solvent aerosol can that is easy to apply, it evaporates fast so don’t wait too long, apply, wait a few seconds and then use the relevant brushes.
- Specially formulated and meets CARB automotive product VOC standards
- Removes combustion chamber deposits
- Restores performance
- Genuine OEM Chrysler fluid
- Prevents fuel system varnish
This is Mopar 4897156AC Throttle Body Cleaner in 13oz aerosol can
MOPAR 4897156AC Throttle Body Cleaner is an acetone based product that is used to clean just about every motor component that you want. It is good for metal and PVC components and once sprayed will evaporate fast.
- Meets CARB automotive product VOC standards
- Removes combustion chamber deposits
- Restores performance
- Prevents fuel system varnish
This is another standard acetone based formulation that cleans engine parts with a spray application, just bring the brushes and get to work.
3. homEdge Carburetor Cleaning Tool Kits, Carb Carburetor Jet Cleaner for ATV, UTV, Motorcycle Moped
- Made by high density nylon with not hair loss, 18/8 stainless steel and lightweight aluminum case, the durable tool kit is a MUST tool for workshop, personal garage.
- The tool kit comes with different diameters helps you to reach out to the tiny jets and carb passages and remove all the dirt easily.
- The tools are well made, they are durable and flexible at the same time. Wow.
- The tool kit can be used for your ATV, UTV, power sports and motorcycle carburetor cleaning. I believe you will be cleaning them with our tool kit before having fun with them.
- 10 cleaning needles + 5 brushes, overall length: 4.53inch (115 mm), Cleaning brush diameters: 2mm, 3mm, 4mm, 5mm, 7 mm. Cleaning needles diameters: 0.4 mm, 0.5 mm, 0.6 mm, 0.7 mm, 0.8 mm.
This is the homEdge Carburetor Cleaning Tool Kits, Carb Carburetor Jet Cleaner
This homEdge set is made from high density packed nylon that is twisted to prevent hair loss during application. The steel is am 18/8 stainless steel alloy and, the set comes in a convenient and corrosion resistant aluminum case.
This is a comprehensive kit, it comes with different diameters for matchins many applications, including 10 cleaning needles + 5 brushes.
The overall length is 4.53inch (115 mm). The cleaning brush diameters are 2mm, 3mm, 4mm, 5mm, 7 mm, and the cleaning needle diameters are 0.4 mm, 0.5 mm, 0.6 mm, 0.7 mm, 0.8 mm.
- A 15 piece set
- 10 Stainless steel with nylon brushes
- 5 stainless steel needles
A classic setthe, price e is exceptional and, a must-have item.
- NOTE: The cleaner is NON-UNIVERSAL. Only fit Carburetor Engine Moto, Carbon Dirt Deposit Remove.
- DIFFERENT DIAMETERS: This wires set come with 13 different diameters, especially designed to clean out the tiny jets and carb passages from all dirt.
- CLEANING NEEDLES AND BRUSHES: Perfect for clearing out blockages or obstructions in the narrow passage of auto motorcycle carburetor.
- MATERIAL OF NEEDLES & BRUSHES: Stainless steel & Nylon, spiral bristle make it easy to get access to the inner side, making the washing clearly and thoroughly.
- PACKAGE INCLUDED: 10cleaning needles + 5 brushes. Brush diameters: 2mm, 3mm, 4mm, 5mm, 7 mm. 13pcs Cleaning Wires Sets.
This is the Wedfeir Carburetors Carbon Dirt Jet Remove Cleaner Tool Kit
The Wedfeir set comes with 15 components, these include 10 needles and 5 brushes.
The brushes are made from stainless steel with nylon bristles and the bristles are fasted in a spiral fashion to eliminate hair loss, as well as make cleaning much easier.
The brushes are made of 304 stainless steel and their length is 115mm/4.53, and their diameters are 2mm, 3mm, 4mm, 5mm, and 7 mm.
The set comes with a steel carrying case for extra protection from harm, and is 10.2 x 2.3 x 1.2cm/4 x 0.9 x 0.47in in size.
- 304 stainless steel brush and needle set
- Spiral nylon brushes
- 5 brushes
- 10 needles
This is a great combo kit for many applications, the price is perfect and the kit is secured in a strong steel box. A great carry around for all mechnics.
- Made of stainless steel and nylon bristles,it is rustproof and durable.
- Tied together by a key ring, very convenient for you to hang them.
- Perfect tools for carb overhaul and good to clear obstructions from carb passages as well as other jets.
- Also useful for other cleaning, spray guns, nozzles, air tools, camping stoves, primus torches etc
- Come with a plastic case for easy to store.
This is the Ridge yard 15 pc Carburetor Carbon Dirt Jet Remove Tool, Kit
The Ridge yard is a budget-friendly set, yup, even here you get one of those that costs half of a standard set. In this,s case is made of standard stainless steel with a key-ring holder for all the brushes and needles. There is also a plastic carry case.
The Needles length is 3.36 inch (8.5cm);
The Brushes length is 4.33 inch (11cm)
- A basic 15 pc set
- Stainless steel
If you are budget restricted, then this is the best option for you, and this set is perfect for many applications, so don’t underestimate its performance because of its price.
How to clean a Throttle Body
Cleaning a throttle body is not a big issue, while there are some throttle bodies that are hard to reach or open, you might forgo cleaning it yourself and taking it into the shop for cleaning. If your throttle body is easy to locate, and is easy to disassemble, then just remember that its made of aluminum, and the brushes are steel. When brushing, try not to led the brush shaft rub against the air intakes, since this will chaff them. Only allow the nylon contact. When using the needles, make sure you only insert them to remove the dirt, don’t scrape the sides.
- Torx screwdrivers or socket wrenches
- Brush and needle set
- Eye protection.
- Throttle body cleaner, or acetone
- Household oil
- Cotton swabs
- Paper towels
- Rubber gloves (or surgeons gloves for better feel)
- Park and secure your vehicle in a well-ventilated location
- Pop the hood and disconnect the battery negative
- Locate the throttle body which usually between the air cleaner and the intake manifold
- The throttle body is made from aluminum
- If you have an issue finding the throttle body, have someone sit in the cab and press the fuel peddle, then look for movement, that will be the throttle shaft that leads to the throttle body.
- The throttle body is attached to air-intake tubes, check which tools you need to disconnect these, label each connection before removing it, use a colored tape on the throttle body and the hose, so you match each one when returning it.
- Do not disturb or disconnect the electrical wires.
- Make sure you are not damaging any gaskets, or you will need to replace them.
- Put on your eye protection if you haven’t done so yet, and also your rubber/surgeon gloves.
- Spray into the air duct and use the brushes to clean the sides.
- DO NOT LET ANYTHING FALL INTO THE AIR DUCT OR THROTTLE BODY
- Brush all the surfaces until they are clean, you will see the aluminum shine.
- Using the cotton wool and the oil, swab the throttle shaft slightly (don’t overdo it) and one drop of oil to the rotor too.
- Using the paper towels, clean up all residues and liquids from the engine surface that fell during the cleaning operation.
- Re-assemble the throttle body ducts
- Tighten the hose clamps.
- Clean the surfaces of any tools and waster.
- Reattach the neghative tyo the battery.
- Close the hood.
- Start the engine.
Sometimes engines will start a bit rough, but that’s common. After the initial ignition, the engine will start to perform better than before.
Leave the engine running for a few minutes, and then take it for a test drive. You will notice that your engine now performs significantly better and your throttle reaction together with your overall control has improved.
Garage Door Rollers
Tool Chest Under 1000
Garage Door Insulation Kit
Screwdrivers For Mechanics
Engine Oil Additive
Throttle Body Cleaner
Truck Tool Box
Automotive Paint Gun For Beginners
383 Stroker Kit
4L60E Rebuild Kit
110V Stick Welder
Pittsburgh Tools Review
Garage Floor Cleaner