- The 5 Best Winches for Jeep :
- Our Recommendations
- REVIEWS YOU CAN TRUST
- Best All-rounder: X-BULL Waterproof Synthetic Rope Winch – the best winch for Jeep
- Combo: Smittybilit XRC Gen 2 Winch + Cradle
- Not short on features: Superwinch LP10000 Winch
- Synthetic rope appeal: Rough Country Electric Winch
- The best for a big budget: Warn Zeon 10-S Winch
- What is the best winch for Jeep?
Off-roading is second nature to the Jeep. These robust SUVs (even the smallest and the largest ones) can manage to tackle bad or no road better than a lot of rivals. But what happens when you go just an inch too far — and you get stuck? Of course, you can’t just press the reset button in this game. You have to find a way to get out. A friend with a tow rope might sound like a great idea but what if their Jeep/SUV/truck can’t even reach you? You then need a winch. It can be self-powered or use your Jeep for power. It can pull you out of that difficult situation. That is why it’s considered to be a blessing for off-roaders and adventurers. And we look at some highly popular choices to help you select the best winch for Jeep.
The 5 Best Winches for Jeep :
- X-BULL Waterproof Synthetic Rope Winch – the best winch for Jeep
- Smittybilit XRC Gen 2 Winch + Cradle
- Superwinch LP10000 Winch
- Rough Country Electric Winch
- Warn Zeon 10-S Winch
REVIEWS YOU CAN TRUST
All the information and opinions you find on Mechanicguides.com come from a team of automotive journalists and an independent mechanic, Steve “Whip” Whipple with 11 years of auto industry experience. We look at the latest market research, talk to experts, and draw from our own practical experience to bring you reviews and guides that reflect what you’ll encounter in your garage. For more information about the team, see here.
Best All-rounder: X-BULL Waterproof Synthetic Rope Winch – the best winch for Jeep
- Waterproof IP67 rating and state-of-the-art 500AMP solenoid valve.Equipped with the latest generation of wireless remote for all the latest x-bull winches
- Standard working winch, one synthetic wire, 13000 LBS capacity;Ideal for two-door jeeps and light suvs for daily pull.Suitable for all kinds of harsh environment
- Please confirm the fit of mounting plate before purchase: outline size :(length X width X height) 20.8"X 6.5" X 10.24", mounting bolt type :10.00 ± 0.015" × 4.50 ± 0.010".Synthetic rope :3/8’’ x 80 ft
- Heavy duty sealed contactor with positive load control for power input and output.Powerful motor and three-stage planetary gear system provide faster linear speed and lower ampere traction under load.High efficiency - 25.3 feet per minute for no load and 7 feet per minute for full load
- X-bull, all winches come with lifetime technical support and a one-year limited warranty.If there is any issue during the purchase, please feel free to contact us, we will provide professional and timely service
Equipped with a 26-meter-long synthetic cable, the X-BULL winch is for the more serious off-road/recovery users. It comes with a maximum load capacity of 13000 lb. The winch has a waterproof IP67 rating, is backed by a one-year limited warranty and lifetime tech support, and most importantly, gets a wireless remote.
It has a 500-ampere solenoid, automatic load-holding, a three-stage planetary gear system, and a free-spooling clutch. The wireless remote makes operating the winch even safer and easier. The winch also boasts a power in and out motor for positive load control. The synthetic cable is another of its strong points. It has a breaking strength of almost 24,000 lb — nearly double of what it’s supposed to pull at max with the winch.
What do we think of it?
The X-BULL winch is a solid product for the price it retails at. Users are generally satisfied with its performance and installation. Some users have mentioned that the synthetic cable might not fare as well in the long run. But it’s easy to operate and has a solid load capacity.
- Good load capacity
- Synthetic cable
- Wireless remote
- Your purchase includes One Smittybilt GEN2 XRC Winch, 97495 model with 9,500 lbs. load capacity
- Winch dimensions: 22.3” L x 5.4” W x 9.4” H | Product Weight: 78 lbs. | Weight capacity: 9,500 lbs. | Cable type – 93.5” diameter, Wire rope | Motor – 6.6hp | Control – 12” lead | Gear-train – 3-stage planetary | Fairlead – 4-way roller
- Completely Waterproof, state-of-the-art 500AMP Solenoid
- Kit comes complete with all wiring required for installation. Smittybilt recommends using supplied wiring
- Smittybilt offers a limited lifetime for replacement to the original purchaser on stainless steel products. Dual-stage, powder coated products carry a 5-year or 100,000 mile warrany, whichever comes first
This is a bundle that contains two items: a Smittybilt XRC Gen-2 winch and a Smittybilt cradle for the same. The winch is rated to pull up to 9500 lb whereas the cradle is suitable for applications of up to 12,000 lb. This makes the combination perfect for off-road enthusiasts, especially if you aren’t looking at throwing a wad of cash for this.
The winch is powered by a 6.6 hp amphibious motor backed by a 3-stage planetary gear system. It has a 500-ampere solenoid, is claimed to be water-proof (with an IP67 certification), comes with all the necessary hardware and wiring, and is backed by a 5-year or 100,000-mile warranty. It’s operated with the help of a corded remote.
The winch cradle can be mounted at either the front or the rear. It works with any 2-inch receiver hitch and also includes a mounting plate for roller fairlead. The battery terminal for it is sold separately, though.
What do we think of it?
As a decent entry-level winch, the Smittybilt Winch and Cradle combo work well. The load-bearing capacity isn’t the highest, but the price isn’t that high, either. Alternatively, if you’re interested in the brand, you can also spec it with a higher load capacity of up to 17500 lb. As far as this product is concerned, users are happy with its performance at the given price.
Some users have mentioned that the winch isn’t waterproof and the quality can be improved. On the other hand, a lot of users who had to contact the customer support were happy with how their problems were dealt with. Check with the seller about a warranty (after the 3rd year, Smittybilt mentions that up to 50 percent of the replacement costs/original price is covered).
- Good customer support
- Not waterproof
Not short on features: Superwinch LP10000 Winch
- 12 VDC/5.1 hp weather-sealed series wound motor with a 10,000-lb pull rating
- 85' of 3/8" steel wire rope with heavy-duty latched hook and rope thimble and automatic, mechanical load holding braking
- 12' rubber handheld remote for safe operating distances
- Weather-sealed solenoid and circuit breaker
- Powder-coated 4-way roller fairlead and a free spooling lever action clutch
The Superwinch LP10000 is a single-line pull winch with roller fairhead and a handheld remote. Its 12-volt weather-sealed motor produces 5.1 hp and has a pull rating of 10,000 lb. It’s backed by a weather-sealed solenoid and circuit breaker. It has a planetary gear train, and a wire steel wire rope (3/8” x 85’). A heavy-duty latched hook with thimble is also included.
Entry-level but feature-rich
It’s an entry-level winch, but it doesn’t skimp on features. For instance, it has a remote with a 12-foot cable for safe operation. It also has a free spooling clutch that allows manual drawing of rope. To further the safety, it comes equipped with automatic load-holding and mechanical braking to ensure there’s no slippage in the case of a power failure. Both the solenoid and motor are weather-resistant, and the entire setup is backed by a 2-year limited warranty.
What do we think of it?
As an entry-level solution, the Superwinch offers a good amount of features without a heavy increase in prices. Users are happy with the way it works, but like in the case of other entry-level ones, some have experienced quality issues.
- Good features
- Quality can improve
Synthetic rope appeal: Rough Country Electric Winch
- 9500 LB. Pro Series Electric Winch | Synthetic Rope
- Motor: Powerful 5.5HP , Gear Ratio 265:1 , 3 Stage Planetary with Sliding Ring Gear Clutch and Auto In Drum Braking
- Includes Wired Remote Control, Clevis Hook, Hawse Fairlead, Synthetic Rope 3/8" x 85 FT
- Water and Dust Proof Rated IP67
- Backed by Rough Country for 1 Year Electrical | 2 Year Mechanical Warranty
The Rough Country Electric winch comes with a load capacity of 9500 lb, has a synthetic cable, a 12-feet wired remote, and is backed by a reassuring warranty (1 year for the electrical components and 2 years for the mechanical ones). It’s also IP67 rated, which gives it a good amount of resistance for both dust and water.
Automatic in-drum braking
The winch is powered by a 5.5 hp motor that has a 3-stage planetary gear. It also comes with features like automatic in-drum braking and sliding-gear riding clutch. The wired remote has a 12-feet-long cable. And the actual synthetic cable attached to the winch is 3/8-inch x 85 feet. Also included in the package are Clevis Hook and Hawse Fairlead.
What do we think of it?
This is a solid winch, with comparable features (with others in the price range), overall good quality, and a synthetic cable. The installation isn’t difficult, and users have also appreciated what it offers for pricing that’s very similar to some steel-cable winches.
- Synthetic cable
- IP67 rating
The best for a big budget: Warn Zeon 10-S Winch
- Uniquely balanced 10000 pounds winch with synthetic rope and roller fairlead
- Design is consistent throughout the entire winch with the same look on the motor as on the gear side
- Convertible control pack can be attached to winch or remotely mounted allowing for various mounting options
- Black powder-coated finish and stainless steel fasteners and clutch inhibit corrosion
- Large aluminum winch drum is lightweight and reduces rope wear
You may wonder why someone would get this winch when you can pick up any three of the winches on our list for a fraction of the Warn’s price. But there’s a reason why every person who’s had experience in driving off-road vehicles and using winches will recommend a certain brand called Warn. But don’t worry, it’s not only the brand name that you’re paying for. The Warn winches are so good and reliable that you wouldn’t mind paying a little extra.
The model we have here is the Zeon 10-S, which means it can hold up to 10,000 lbs and comes equipped with a synthetic cable. It’s also got an aluminum hawse fairlead, large aluminum winch drum, and a convertible control pack. The latter allows for various winch mounting options. The winch is also IP68 rated, comes with a planetary gear train and a 12-feet wired remote. The winch is backed by a limited lifetime warranty and has a wide service network as well.
What do we think of it?
If you’re looking at buying a winch and using it regularly in the long run, it’s hard to go wrong with a brand like Warn. The users like the way it performs and looks, and even the ease of installation — placing the synthetic rope can be slightly difficult, mentions a user.
- Versatile mounting
What is the best winch for Jeep?
There are a few things that you need to keep in mind while selecting a winch. The mounting point has to be strong, so you’ll need either an aftermarket bumper or one that supports the winch. Since we’ve covered battery-driven winches, you’ll also need to check if the onboard battery can handle powering the winch.
If you keep the price aside, it’s hard to look beyond the Warn winch. It’s got the right features, backed by a big brand name, and even an IP68 dust and weather resistance rating. But it’s nearly three times as expensive as some of the other models. Keeping the price in mind, the X-BULL is a solid choice — it gets a wireless remote and synthetic cable as well. The Rough Country isn’t too far behind, either. The Superwinch brings features like auto-hold and in-drum braking whereas the Smittybilt combo proves to be another cost-effective choice. These two, bear in mind, have steel ropes.