It’s time to discuss shock absorbers for your Jeep Grand Cherokee. We’ve done a few reviews on shock absorbers and one of the main questions that need to be answered before we present you with this detailed guide are some facts about shocks.
There are three types of shocks on the market, they include the standard extension shock that is used for shock absorbing only, then there are the strut shocks, these are attached to the cars suspension system and offer slight suspension enhancements and the most advanced category is the hybrid system that integrates extension and strut to create a comprehensive suspension and shock absorbing system.
Top-Rated Shock Absorbers for Jeep Grand Cherokee List:
|Photo||Product name||Feature||Pros||More info|
|1. Rancho RS5000 Shock Set||This is the Rancho RS5000 Shock Set for 1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee||More Information|
|2. BC Racing BR Series Coilovers 05-10 Jeep||This is the BC Racing # ZM-01-BR BC type for 05-10 Jeep Grand Cherokee||More Information|
|3. Cxracing Damper Coilovers Suspension Kit||This is the CXRacing Damper Coilover Suspension Kit for 2005-2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee WK SRT8 AWD||More Information|
|4. Rubicon Express SK010634RXT 3.5"-4.5"||This is the Rubicon Express SK010634RXT 3.5"-4.5" Twintube Shock for Jeep XJ||More Information|
|5. Oredy Front Pair Complete Quick Struts Shock Coil Spring Assembly Kit||This is the Oredy Front Pair Complete Quick Struts Shock Coil Spring Assembly Kit||More Information|
All three use a gas-filled oil pressure piston delivering hydraulic power to absorb shocks. The hybrids will include a very impressive coil and spring system that is used to support the weight of your vehicle, providing full suspension too. However, if you are not sure what you need, don’t replace without professional advice.
The most important aspect of a shock absorber is its role in keeping the tires firmly on the ground. Rough surfaces and obstacles cause the car to jump, and the tire surface leaves the road surface, this means that you lose control over your vehicle and cannot brake, accelerate or change direction.
Shock absorbers are installed to assure a firm and smooth ride with full control at all (or most) times, and different shocks are used for different applications. Jeeps, especially the Grand Cherokee are designed for rough and ready driving, so you want the most reliable and sturdy shocks that are around. This is why I prepared a list of the Best Shock Absorbers for Jeep Grand Cherokee for you to choose from.
Best Shock Absorbers for Jeep Grand Cherokee Reviews:
- Top-Rated Shock Absorbers for Jeep Grand Cherokee List:
- Best Shock Absorbers for Jeep Grand Cherokee Reviews:
- 1. Rancho RS5000 Shock Set 1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ
- 2. BC Racing BR Series Coilovers 05-10 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 AWD – WK
- 3. Cxracing Damper Coilovers Suspension Kit for 05-10 Grand Cherokee Srt8 AWD Wk
- 4. Rubicon Express SK010634RXT 3.5″-4.5″ Twintube Shock for Jeep XJ
- 5. Oredy Front Pair Complete Quick Struts Shock Coil Spring Assembly Kit 171377L 171377R 11211
- The three different shocks
This is a non-leveling nor lifting shock system. They are 4 shock absorbers that improve your overall control and deliver a slightly smoother ride for your Jeep.
These shocks come with Rancho’s proprietary ten-stage velocity sensitive valving that deliver specific tuning specific for your jeep.
All Rancho shocks come with an improved hydraulic damping and velocity-sensitive valving that is designed to generate a proportional damping force to the velocity of compression including the extension of the shock. These shocks deliver low resistance with slow compression and greater resistance with fast compression.
This kit comes with all the washers, bushings, and nuts needed for a fast installation.
- 5/8-in. (16mm) diameter piston rods for extra strength and durability
- 1 3/8-in. (35mm) diameter piston optimizes performance for all environments
- A protective boot that adds protection to the shock rod and oil seal
The Jeep Patriot BC Racing BR series coilovers are a mono-tube shock design with 30 levels of dampening force adjustment. These shocks come with pillow ball mounts and adjustable camber plates as well as adjustable rear camber plates.
- Shock housing 46mm pistons and 53mm shock housings
- SAE9254 Steel spring valves that are designed to outperform stainless steels giving longer valve life. These springs have been tested at over 500,000x and results proved a < 5% deformation
- Patented deflective system on the valve stacks providing more precise control
- Patented concave lower locking ring that is designed to prevent unseating
- Spring locks and seats are made of lightweight T6061 Aluminum
- The MacPherson struts come with iron lower brackets for extra rigidity.
- Highly polished steel piston rods prevent leaking and provide extra oil seal life and
- consistent fade resistant damping is reached with high-pressure inner rod guide seals
- The Pillowball mounts have an extra bearing that provides a smoother action
- Nickel and chromium plating over the body for both corrosion prevention and a smooth finish
The CXRacing Damper Coilover Suspension Kit for 2005-2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee WK SRT8 AWD is a mono-Tube shock with top mount and a 32-step height adjustable damper. These shocks deliver a street sports spring rate of 18Kg in the front and 6kg in the rear.
The # SK010634RXT is a Standard Lift Kit by Rubicon Express® and designed for all Jeep XJ models.
These shocks were designed to meet and go beyond OEM quality standards and provide a superior upgrade to your suspension system. This kit includes the following parts:
- Sway Bar Disconnects
- Leaf Springs
- Transfer Case Lowering Kit
- Degree Shim
- Spring Bushings
- Rear Brake Line
- Piston diameter: 625”
- Chrome shaft length 11/16”
- Double welded rings for improved reliability and longevity
- Rebound Stops and Multi Lip Seal
- Silver Paint over Black Urethane Bushings
The Oredy kit replaces Monroe parts 171377L, 171377R, 11211, and 11212. These are compatible for 2005 – 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee Excludes SRT And SRT8 Models.
The upper mount integrates special steel bearings with SAE grade nuts and bolts. The Rubber to steel bonding agents is all processed to exceed OEM quality. These units come with a hollow bumper designed to prevent component damage, and the coil spring is made of high-quality steel to support the weight of the vehicle and is adjustable for precise height calibration.
Oredy includes a silent upper spring seat that not only supports the Jeep’s weight, it also absorbs all vibrations and is extremely quiet. This combines with the lower spring isolators that prevent metal to metal friction and increases the silencing characteristics.
Covering this piston is the strut dust boot that adds extra prevention from debris and other contaminants.
The three different shocks
As we mentioned above, there are three different shock absorbers, so here they are in a bit more detail:
Conventional telescopic shock absorbers; these are either monotube or dual tube pistons that contain a hydraulic fluid separated from either compressed air or nitrogen gas for better cooling properties. These are separate units from the suspension system and are for shock absorption only.
Strut type shock absorbers: These come with an additional strut mechanism that is used to attach the shock absorber to the suspension system. These deliver both shock absorption properties with a small suspension enhancement service.
Spring seat shocks: These are hybrids that combine the power of nitrogen filled the telescopic system with a strut and coil for full suspension. Essentially these are used as a full suspension, and shock absorption system, and therefore are the most expensive of the three categories.