Before going any further, it’s important to determine why you need new shocks on your Chevrolet Silverado 1500. If it’s because the existing ones are shot and you want something that just replaces them, then you can use this opportunity to install the better-than-stock aftermarket units. Or on the other hand, if you’re looking to upgrade your truck to make it ride, handle, or tow better, then you can check out the other, more expensive offerings. We’ve included relevant and popular shocks that are bound to fulfill your needs in our latest guide. Have a look at the best shocks for Silverado 1500 2WD:
- Our Recommendations
- Great stock replacement: Bilstein 4600 Series Shock Absorber Set (Front + Rear) – Best Shocks for Silverado 1500 2WD
- Ready for lift kits: Rough Country N3 Rear Shocks
- Level it up: Gabriel HiJackers Air Shocks
- Off-road-friendly: Rancho Quicklift + Rear Gas Shocks (set)
- Cost-effective: KYB Gas-a-Just shocks and struts
- What are the best shocks for Silverado 1500 2WD?
Great stock replacement: Bilstein 4600 Series Shock Absorber Set (Front + Rear) – Best Shocks for Silverado 1500 2WD
- Includes front and rear 4600 Series Bilstein Shock Absorbers.
- Fits stock height 2001-2010 Chevy Silverado & GMC Sierra 2500 HD 4WD.
- Monotube gas pressure technology provides improved control and stability, precise handling, ultimate performance, and incredible comfort.
- Easy to install; direct bolt-on; no modification required.
- Lifetime Warranty
The Bilstein 4600 Series set of shock absorbers has units for both the front and rear, making it a one-stop solution for those looking to upgrade their truck’s shocks. These bolt-on units are made for the stock height Chevrolet Silverado trucks (detailed compatibility below) and offer improved road-holding character.
So what is the 4600 Series? Well, Bilstein is one of the best-known brands when it comes to aftermarket (and even OE) shocks. Think of the 4600 Series of shocks as a stock replacement for factory units, but better. These offer an improved ride, which should be easy to tell especially if you’re upgrading from old shocks.
Works only with stock height
The 4600 Series Bilstein shocks are designed for use with trucks that have no lift. At the stock height, the Bilstein shocks perform well not just in the way your truck rides (as mentioned above) but also in the way it handles. The shock absorber is instrumental in helping a vehicle achieve better road dynamics. And this set promises to do that. As a result, overall stability also improves substantially.
It’s easy to install and doesn’t require any modification — it uses factory mounting points for the installation. Since it’s a direct bolt-on kit, you can do it in your home garage as well, as long as you have the required tools. Keep in mind that this is only a set of shocks and not springs. The shocks also come with neoprene rubber bushings and there’s no need to change the factory springs unless they’re due to be replaced.
The main reason behind improved control and stability is the monotube gas pressure technology. This also allows for extended use under stress without the shock failing. The B6 4600 is made for both on and off-road usage. It’s made possible thanks to the digressive valving present on the shock that enables it to react quickly to changing road conditions.
What do we think of it?
If you’re looking for a stock replacement for the Chevrolet Silverado 1500, the Bilstein 4600 Series fits the bill just about perfectly. It’s well-made, has a reputation for improving the stock vehicle’s ride and handling, and is backed by a lifetime warranty. Check with the seller regarding finer compatibility details and warranty concerns, if any. Regarding the compatibility, both the front and rear shocks are compatible with the Chevrolet Silverado HD 1500 trucks made between the years 2000 and 2007 — so ideally with model years 2001 to 2008, but check with the seller to be sure.
- Great stock replacement
- Entire set
- Not for lifted trucks
Ready for lift kits: Rough Country N3 Rear Shocks
- 10 Stage Variable Valving, Military Fluid Rated To -50 Degrees C
- Nitrogen Charged, Rubber Bushings, 36kN Tensile Strength
- Fast Cooling 54mm Shock Body
- Spring Loaded Piston Rod Seal. Military Spec. Fluid Rated To -40? C
- Sold in Pairs and Backed by Rough Country's 3 Year Warranty
The Rough Country N3 promises to improve both the on- and off-road ride of your Chevrolet Silverado 1500. Made to fit at the rear, these shocks are not only versatile when it comes to road conditions, but also fairly economical to buy as well. By spending less, you might lose out on a few features that more expensive shocks offer, but at the price, the Rough Country N3 seems to be worth it.
The shocks have an 18 mm spring-loaded chrome-hardened piston road and a 35 mm piston. It has a tensile strength of up to 36 kN. And with a 54 mm shock body, it dissipates heat quickly, ensuring that there’s a check on temperature even when the shocks are working hard. But the most important aspect here is the inclusion of 10-stage variable valving. With this, the shocks react almost intuitively to the change in the road surface. That lends the shock absorber some versatile character.
It takes about 1-2 hours in installation and comes with all the necessary hardware required for the job. The extended length of the shock is 26 inches whereas the collapsed length is 15.91 inches. This means the shock absorber can be fitted to trucks with an existing lift kit installed. The listing says a lift of 0-4 inches is compatible with the shocks.
What do we think of it?
The Rough Country N3 rear shocks for Chevrolet Silverado 1500 aren’t expensive but you do get some versatility. Given that it can be fitted to lifted trucks as well, the shocks prove that you don’t have to spend big bucks on a shock replacement. Having said that, if you’re looking for a proper upgrade, then this might not be for you. Check with the seller about finer compatibility and warranty details.
According to Rough Country, the shocks can be fitted to Chevrolet Silverado 1500 trucks with the model years 2007 – 2020 (both 2WD and 4WD models). The 2019 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Classic is also included as well. In terms of the warranty, the listing mentions a coverage for 3 years.
Level it up: Gabriel HiJackers Air Shocks
- America's best-known air-adjustable shock absorber
- Ideal for temporarily towing boats and trailers or heavy loads
- Can help improve handling and can reduce the risk of bottoming out
- Up to 1,100 pounds per pair of leveling capacity [Not to exceed vehicle GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating). Product does not increase payload]
- Rear: Chevrolet: 1996 - 06 Silverado 1500, 2007 Silverado 1500 Classic, 2000 - 06 Suburban 1500, 2000 - 06 Tahoe
The Gabriel HiJackers set of air shocks brings leveling to the equation. It helps in towing for short durations or carrying heavy loads in the truck’s bed. With the air shocks, not only do you reduce your chances of your truck bottoming out, but the shocks offer a great leveling capacity. So when the truck’s loaded and on the move, the shocks can handle up to 1,100 pounds per pair and maintain the stance of the truck. This also improves handling especially when under some load, since the air shocks should keep the truck more stable.
The product is made for installation at the rear of the Chevrolet Silverado 1500. It features a chromed piston rod that offers corrosion resistance. It also has good seal lubrication, which results in a consistent wear surface. The long life of the product is ensured by the leak-proof piston seal. The HiJackers’ Drawn-Over-Mandrel Tubing further aids that by reducing the internal wear of the product.
The collapsed length of the shock is 15.04 inches whereas the extended length is 24.77 inches. Each shock weighs about 13 pounds and has a dust tube made of steel. In a package, you’ll receive 2 shocks, 2 nuts, 2 clamps, 2 O-ring packings, 1 cap, 1 valve core, 6 clips, 1 washer, 1 seal, and 2 tubs.
What do we think of it?
Gabriel has a lot of experience in making shocks — it’s been selling air-adjustable shocks for more than 50 years. So trusting something like Gabriel becomes easier. And at the price at which the set retails, the shocks are a decent investment.
Check with the seller about the warranty (Gabriel mentions a warranty of 24 months or 24,000 miles) and compatibility. The wider compatibility includes RWD Chevrolet Silverado 1500 with the model years 1999 – 2006, and 2007 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Classic. These are RWD models. It’s also compatible with the 2007 – 2018 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 models. Users are happy with the performance at the given price. But some have mentioned dissatisfaction due to loss in the air, incomplete parts being sent, etc.
Off-road-friendly: Rancho Quicklift + Rear Gas Shocks (set)
- Fits: 2007-2018 Chevy Silverado 1500 // 2007-2018 GMC Sierra 1500
- Kit Includes: Two (2) of Part Number: RS55198 - Rancho RS5000X Shock Absorber // Two (2) of Part Number: RS999901 - Rancho Loaded quickLIFT Complete Strut Assembly
- Part RS999901 Details: Front Fitment // Compressed Length: 13.81" // Extended Length: 18.06" // Stroke Length: 4.25" // Body Length: 13.31" // Extended Bumper Stop: No // Compressed Bumper Stop: No // Extended Hydraulic Lockout: No // Twin tube internal design // Clears up to 35-inch tires // Limited Lifetime Warranty
- Part RS55198 Details: Rear Fitment // Compressed Length: 15.69" // Extended Length: 25.59" // Stroke Length: 9.75" // Lower Mounting: Loop Bushing and Sleeve Mount // Upper Mounting: Loop Bushing and Sleeve Mount // Extended Bumper Stop: No // Compressed Bumper Stop: No // Extended Hydraulic Lockout: No // Twin tube internal design // Gas pressurization of shock // Dust Shield Included // Limited Lifetime Warranty
If you’re into serious off-roading and want to give your Chevrolet Silverado 1500 an edge over whatever the standard setup you have, it’s hard to overlook the Rancho set of shock absorbers. The set includes a pair of Quicklift complete strut assembly for the front and a pair of RS5000X gas shocks for the rear. So if you want a single solution for your off-roading needs without having to check with multiple listings/sellers, this is an easy choice.
Clears up to 35-inch tires
At the front is the Quicklift strut kit. Its compressed length is 13.81 inches with an extended length of 18.06 inches. It has clearance for up to 35-inch tires. At the rear is the RS5000X shock. Its compressed length is 15.69 inches with an extended length of 25.59 inches. It’s got a progressive engagement valving which allows the shock to respond to road undulations depending on how large/small the imperfections are. It’s got a rebound bumper, protective boot, Fluon-Banded piston, and low-friction, self-lubricating seal, among other features.
What do we think of it?
It’s an expensive choice, but with the Rancho kit, you’ll make your truck ready for harsh road conditions. The fact that the kit is backed by a solid lifetime warranty makes the deal even better. As far as compatibility goes, the seller mentions it’s compatible with Chevrolet Silverado 1500 trucks with the model years 2007 – 2016. Drop the seller a message to confirm this. Users are happy with it, especially with the installation and how good the ride is.
Cost-effective: KYB Gas-a-Just shocks and struts
- Adds up to 25% more damping performance over original equipment shocks
- Gas-a-Just reacts to load changes and adds instant responsiveness on GM trucks
- High gas pressure design provides instant, extra control
- monotube design outperforms all other standard shock absorbers
- Unique, air-free, hydraulic unit eliminates performance fade
The KYB Gas-a-Just shock for the Chevrolet Silverado 1500 is a cost-effective solution if the original rear shocks of your truck are done. But don’t let the low price have you assuming it’s low quality. It does offer improved performance over the standard shocks.
Improved ride quality
To start with, KYB claims that the Gas-a-Just shock adds up to 25 percent more damping performance in comparison to the factory units. That means better ride quality. There’s also an improvement in overall vehicle control and there’s claimed to be no performance fade at all.
Like some other models here, the Gas-a-Just also offers instant response to changing road conditions and thus can be a good fit in your daily driver, especially if you need to handle a variety of terrain. It’s a monotube design and has instant response thanks to no aeration. Inside the shock absorber, there are two separate chambers: an air-free hydraulic piston and valve area whereas the other houses a floating piston in nitrogen gas. The latter is for a comfortable ride whereas the former is for handling and instant control.
What do we think of it?
It’s backed by a lifetime warranty (check with the seller before making the purchase) and is compatible with a variety of Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2WD models (2004 – 2006), Chevrolet Silverado 2WD HD (2001 – 2006), Silverado 1500 2WD Classic (2007), and Silverado 1500 HD Classic 2WD (2007). Users are happy with the ride quality, especially at the price.
What are the best shocks for Silverado 1500 2WD?
Getting a set of replacement shocks for the Silverado 1500 will not just help return the truck to its former glory, it can also improve the way your Silverado 1500 drives both on and off the road. You need to keep in mind that shocks can take some time before they set in — and offer you the kind of performance promised by the manufacturer.
Looking at our list, if you’re after improved off-road/rough-road performance, the Rancho set makes for a good choice. The Gabriel shocks level up the truck as well. The Rough Country N3 shocks offer versatility at competitive prices. The KYB Gas-a-Just shocks help you save money, especially if you’re looking for stock replacements. But our vote goes to the Bilstein 4600 shocks, which prove to be amazing stock replacements but have much better quality.
More Silverado Reviews – See our best:
- Lift Kits
- Leveling Kit for Silverado
- Spark Plugs for 5.3 Silverado
- Cam for 4.8 Silverado
- Exhaust for 5.3 Silverado
- Long Tube Headers for 5.3 Silverado
- Brake Pads for Silverado 2500HD
- Cold Air Intake for Chevy Silverado
- Exhaust System for Silverado 1500
- Programmer for 5.3 Silverado
- Shocks for Silverado 1500 4×4