As a proud owner, you know one of the many perks of owning a Dodge Ram 4×4 is getting your truck dirty and finding a way through extreme and “unconquerable” terrain.
To support your truck, you’ll need to upgrade the shock absorbers. They won’t just improve the way the Dodge Ram behaves off the road, but they can also let you install larger tires and add a lift kit if you want even more clearance. if you’re looking to replace the shock absorbers, let Mechanic Guides to help you choose the Best Shocks for Dodge Ram 1500 4×4.
- Our Recommendations
- For all fours: Bilstein 5100 Set of Front and Rear Shocks – the best shocks for Dodge Ram 1500 4×4
- Better than stock: Monroe Load Adjusting Shocks
- Inexpensive alternative: Drive Tech America Full Set (Front + Rear) Shocks
- Adjustability Galore: Rancho QuickLift for Dodge Ram 1500 4WD
- For the old trucks: Maxorber Shocks Struts for Dodge Ram 1500 4WD
- What are the best shocks for Ram 1500 4×4?
For all fours: Bilstein 5100 Set of Front and Rear Shocks – the best shocks for Dodge Ram 1500 4×4
- Kit includes Front Ride Height Adjustable and matching Rear 5100 Series Shock Absorbers.
- Front shocks adjustable from 0-2.75" of lift. Rear accomodate up to 1" of lift.
- Kit fits Dodge Ram 1500 4WD 2009-14.(Excludes air leveling)
- Lifetime Warranty
- Easy to install; direct bolt-on; no modification required.
As a set of four shocks, the Bilstein 5100 is a one-stop solution for your truck’s suspension upgrade. Since this is a set of two different models, you’ll need to pay close attention to the compatibility, but that’s about it. The Amazon listing says that pair is compatible with Dodge Ram 1500 trucks made with the model years 2009 – 2014, but the individual compatibility (for both the front and rear) mentioned on Bilstein’s website is 2009 – 2019, so just confirm with the seller before making the purchase.
Bolt-on, ready to accommodate lift
Both the front and rear shocks allow for a degree of lift (0-2.75” at the front and 1” at the rear) and are direct bolt-on installations. That means you wouldn’t have to scour for additional tools or make changes to the factory mounting points. It’s backed by a lifetime warranty, so that includes some extra peace of mind. Both the shocks feature a monotube design (for cooler operation and a longer life) and digressive valving that ensures the shock reacts instantly to changing road conditions.
What do we think of it?
Bilstein is a well-known brand, and the B8 is a fairly popular product as well. The installation is easy and the users have commented on the ride quality, the overall build, and the looks. All of these are an improvement in comparison to the factory units, which is a great thing. The lifetime warranty makes the whole deal even sweeter.
- Good improvement over stock
- Lifetime warranty
Better than stock: Monroe Load Adjusting Shocks
- All Weather Fluid: Contains special modifiers to reduce friction and ensure smooth rod reaction
- Full Displaced Valving: Tuned specifically for each application, this valving automatically adjusts to road extremes to provide consistency and ride
- Fluon Banded Piston: The fluon band provides consistent sealing between the piston and pressure tube which delivers better control and increased durability
Offered as a pair, the Monroe Load Adjusting Shocks set is promised to come with added durability and longevity. But most importantly, it can adjust to the changing road conditions and hence offer a smoother, problem-free drive. In addition to that, Monroe claims that the shocks can maintain the ride height of the truck with up to 1100 pounds onboard.
Ability to tackle harsh conditions
It’s compatible with 2002 – 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 4×4 trucks. The set is for rear application and is said to be perfect for light trucks. The shock absorber has a couple of advantages like full-displaced valving, all-weather fluid, Fluon-banded piston, nitrocarburized rod, and nitrogen gas-charged design. These ensure good ride and handling, thanks to a smooth operation without compromising on the longevity. With a self-lubricating seal, you can rest easy that the shock absorber will fare well even in harsh conditions.
What do we think of it?
The Monroe Load Adjusting Shocks are popular because these are clearly an improvement over the stock shocks. You need to be careful about the warranty before ordering because the listing doesn’t mention it. In terms of the product, while a large percentage of users all love the shocks, a handful has mentioned that the low-speed ride can get stiff whereas some lift gets added to the rear. It’s stable with a load on and takes just about 2 hours for installation.
- Improved payload
- Better than stock
- Some users have complained of a stiff low-speed ride
Inexpensive alternative: Drive Tech America Full Set (Front + Rear) Shocks
- Fully loaded complete unit is safe and easy to install. Guranteed fit and function.
- The strut is nitrogen gas charged with 4 Lip Teflon banded Piston Seal, micro polished chrome plated piston rod and all weather SV3 fluid.
- Coil Spring is heated treated & powder coated to ensure longevity and protection from Corrosion.
- Spring seats insulated to springs to ensure quiet and comfortable ride quality.
- Neoprene boots and bump stops when applicable.
If you’re looking for an inexpensive alternative for a full set of shocks (that is a pair for the front and one for the rear), the DTA shocks for Dodge Ram 1500 can be a good choice. The set includes front strut assemblies and rear shocks. Since it’s a fully integrated design, DTA mentions that it reduces the need for a spring compressor and makes replacement easier.
Compatible with the 2006 – 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 4WD trucks, the set benefits from nitrogen gas charging, multi-staging valving, and all-weather fluid. The strut has a 4-lip piston seal, and depending on the application, neoprene boots and bump stops as well. The Amazon listing doesn’t have the warranty information, so we’d suggest you drop the seller a message.
What do we think of it?
There’s a considerable price advantage with the set, and most users have mentioned a good fit and that they’re satisfied with the purchase. The Amazon listing has limited information, but the product does level the front, which makes the truck look even better.
- Improved stance
- Limited info
Adjustability Galore: Rancho QuickLift for Dodge Ram 1500 4WD
- Part Numbers RS999367 and RS999930 and RS999944
- Front Pair of Struts & Springs + Rear pair of 2 shocks for vehicles at factory height or w/0-2" front lift and w/0-1" rear lift; Excl. TRX, Air Suspension, V6 Engine
- Fits 4WD vehicles
- Front height not adjustable from specified height. 9 settings of compression and dampening adjustment.
- Rancho's limited lifetime warranty protects against defects and premature failure. Rancho's 90 day ride guarantee covers RS5000X, RS7000MT, and RS9000XL shocks.
With nine levels of adjustment for both on and off-road driving, the Rancho RS9000XL offers an unmatched ability to vary how stiff/soft your truck rides. That’s for the rear, whereas at the front is the Rancho Quicklift that complements the RS9000XL. These two pairs in conjunction offer a hugely adjustable shock absorber setup for the Dodge Ram 1500 4WD.
The entire set comprises of front pair of struts and springs and the rear shocks, required mounting hardware, and a solid lifetime warranty. Rancho also offers a 90-day ride guarantee on its products (both sets) and you can get in touch with the seller for more information. The set is compatible with the Dodge Ram/Ram 1500 4WD trucks made with the model years 2009 – 2016.
While the set allows for the use of larger tires, the recommended front lift height over the standard factory height is 0 – 2 inches where the setup allows 0 – 1 inch of lift at the rear. At the front, it levels the front suspension, has a 9-position tuning, and comes with a liquid metallic finish. At the rear, the RS9000XL gets the 9-position adjustment knob, a protective boot, a rebound bumper, and other niceties like self-lubricating seal, sintered iron piston, Fluon banded piston, among other things.
What do we think of it?
Rancho is reputed for making heavy-duty shock absorbers and this is no different. Users have mentioned of easy installation and hugely improved ride quality. The improved stance looks great as well. And to top it all off, there’s the assured reputation of the brand and a long warranty for trouble-free ownership.
- Better ride quality
- Slightly expensive
For the old trucks: Maxorber Shocks Struts for Dodge Ram 1500 4WD
- Important Note: For the sake of safety, each pair of front OR rear shocks will be packed and shipped as an unique unit. Thus, if 2pcs purchaseed, there will be 1 package. If 4pcs purchased, there will be 2 packages and so on. Please feel free to contact us if you have any other concern.
- Compatible with: 2002 2003 2004 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Pickup 4WD Shocks Struts Absorber
- Interchange/Cross Part Number: 344399 344385 32392 37207 5072921AB, 5072921AC, 5072921AD, 5072922AB, 5072922AC, 5072923AB, 5072923AC, 5073261AA, 5073261AB, 5073262AA, 5073262AB, 5073263AA, 5073263AB, 5073263AC, 5073264AA, 5073264AC, 5073265AA, 5073265AB, 5073265AC, 5080987AA, 5093252AA, 5093252AB, 5093252AC, 5101782AA, 5101783AA, 5101784AA, 5103514AA, 5103514AC, 5103515AA, 5103515AB, 5114489AA, 5139015AB, 5139017AA, 5139134AB, 5139135AB, 52110040AA, 52110041AA, 52110042AA Shocks Struts
- Shock Absorbers For Left H (Driver Side) and Right H (Passenger Side); Shock Absorbers only,not including springs or mounts.Chromed Piston Rod: suitable stiff dampening power for passenger cars. Shocks Struts replacement to restore your vehicle ride, handling and control performance
- Premium Qualified Finish: rust protection; Nitrogen Gas charged: improved stopping,steering,stability.Japanese Made Oil Seals: no squeaking noise,long durability; Chromed Piston Rod: suitable stiff dampening power for passenger cars
Made for the Dodge Ram 1500 4WD trucks made with the model years 2002 – 2005, the Maxorber Shocks set seems like a good replacement set that doesn’t break the bank. The set includes the shock absorbers only (for both the front and the rear) and not the springs or mounts.
Durable but not expensive
The nitrous-gas-charged units come with Japanese-made oil seals, chromed piston rods, high-performance shock absorber oil, etc. All of that means the product is bound to prove more durable, offer trouble- and squeak-free operation, and restore the ride quality, Maxorber claims the shocks are easy to install, too. The outer finish on the product is made to ensure the shock absorber doesn’t rust.
What do we think of it?
At a very affordable price, the Maxorber set looks like a good choice, if all you want is to replace the aging shocks on your Dodge Ram 1500 4WD. Check with the seller about the compatibility and warranty — no info about the latter is available in the Amazon listing. The users have appreciated the low cost of the product, factory-like ride quality, and decent fit.
- Factory-like fit
- Lack of info
What are the best shocks for Ram 1500 4×4?
Shock absorbers are essential to making your truck ride the way you want it to. For the absolute ability to fine-tune the way it does, you ought to look at the Rancho set. It offers 9-point adjustability for the same. But if you’re looking for the best choice overall, it’s hard to beat the Bilstein B8. It’s a reputed brand making a solid product, and there’s very little that can go wrong with that choice. The Monroe load-adjusting shocks are a great stock replacement. But if you don’t want to spend a lot of money, the Maxorber set is hard to beat for older models. The DTA does exactly that but for the trucks made between 2006 and 2008.
More RAM 1500 Content – See our best:
- 20-inch Tires
- Exhaust System
- Shocks for 2WD
- Seat Covers
- Floor Mats
- Side Steps
- Cold Air Intakes
- Bed Cover
- Lift Kits
- Fender Flares
- Programmers for 2014 Ram 1500 Hemi
- Maintenance Schedules
- How to Change the Headlight Bulb in a RAM 1500