- The 5 Best Tires for Ram 1500:
- Our Recommendations
- REVIEWS YOU CAN TRUST
- All-rounder: Falken Wildpeak All Terrain – the best tires for Ram 1500
- Stock Replacement: Michelin LTX A/T2 All-Season
- Sweet 17: Toyo Open Country A/T II
- Toughness Exemplified: BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2
- Road tire: Nitto All-Season Radial Tire
- Final thoughts on the best tires for Ram 1500
No matter how hard someone tries to convince you into believing that it’s difficult to choose the best tires for Ram 1500, don’t believe them. If you have your priorities sorted, you know what you mostly use your truck for off-roading, towing, or daily driving. It’s only a matter of browsing through the best choices and picking the set that suits your needs. We’ve listed popular Dodge Ram 1500 tire choices, so why don’t you take a look.
The 5 Best Tires for Ram 1500:
- Falken Wildpeak All Terrain – the best tires for Ram 1500
- Michelin LTX A/T2 All-Season
- Toyo Open Country A/T II
- BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2
- Nitto All-Season Radial Tire
REVIEWS YOU CAN TRUST
We strive to always give you genuine, accurate information. To do this, all of mechanicguides.com reviews are based on market research, expert input, and practical experience. This knowledge comes from a team of automotive journalists and an independent mechanic, Steve “Whip” Whipple who has 11 years of experience in the auto industry. For more information, see here.
All-rounder: Falken Wildpeak All Terrain – the best tires for Ram 1500
- Max load capacity(lbs):2679
If you’re looking at replacing your truck’s old 20-inch tires for something that handles a bit of everything well — from basic off-roading to handling difficult terrain but without sucking on the pavement — the Falken tires for Ram 1500 make for a good choice.
If you’re wondering why 20-inch, well that’s because it’s been the standard size on Dodge Ram 1500, for a lot of variants. But if yours has a 17-inch, 22-inch, or 18-inch (later models) tire fitted as standard, you can check for alternatives. For the 20-inch model, the specified tire size is 275/60 R20.
The Falken Wildpeak A/T3W is an all-terrain, all-weather tire made with the knowledge that trucks are used for a variety of needs. It’s a 4-ply tire with a maximum load capacity of 2679lb, an overall width of 10.8 inches, and it comes with a limited tread life warranty of 55,000 miles.
Deepest Tread in the category
The features that help the Wildpeak stand out include better heat dissipation from the tire and an outer apex sidewall that not only works as a heat shield to protect the innards but also proves to be useful on rough roads. The upper sidewall is strengthened to perform against sharp rocks and on difficult terrain. The tread blocks are designed to prevent stones from getting trapped in the tread but without losing overall grip. Talking of tread, Falken claims that the tire has the deepest tread in the category. That not only works to lower the chances of hydroplaning/snow slippage but also with a silica tread compound (tire-specific, available on this one), is bound to run for longer and better on wet surfaces as well.
What do we think of it?
As a stock replacement, the Falken Wildpeak looks like a Dodge Ram 1500 tire. Users are overall happy with only a handful complaining about wear. Otherwise, on the whole, the tire has received good reviews including basic off-road performance, wet driving, and even due to reduced road noise.
- Good A/T tire
- Tread depth
- Great performance overall
- Some users have reported early wear
Stock Replacement: Michelin LTX A/T2 All-Season
- MICHELIN LTX A/T2 TIRE—Explore new trails with the MICHELIN LTX A/T2 all-season tire-designed for year-round traction and durability; this all-terrain 4x4 tire ensures a quiet, comfortable ride on highways and unpaved roads without compromising performance
- BUILT TO LAST—This long-lasting, all-season tire features MaxTouch Construction to optimize road contact for long tire life in rough driving conditions; Work or play, this reliable tire will fit all your adventures
- OFF-ROAD DURABILITY—The MICHELIN LTX A/T2 tire features MICHELIN Biting Edges technology with notched blocks in the tread pattern to deliver excellent traction on unpaved surfaces; with 35% longer life on gravel than two leading competitors
- A BETTER FIT—The MICHELIN LTX A/T2 tire is engineered for pickup trucks, large, luxury, compact and medium 4x4, crossover, and sport utility vehicles
- THE MICHELIN GUARANTEE—The MICHELIN LTX A/T2 all-terrain tire is backed by a treadwear limited warranty up to 60,000 miles in addition to the 6-year standard limited warranty
Some of the model year 2019 versions of the Ram 1500 trucks come with a 275/65 R18 tire fitted from the factory. If you’re looking at replacing that or you’ve upsized to 18” on an older truck and are looking for a stock replacement, the Michelin LTX A/T2 can’t be ignored. It’s priced in the upper-middle category, but in return for the greater asking price, you also get a long warranty and assured performance over a variety of terrain.
Longer lasting than rivals
The all-season tire is said to be made with a compound that’s resistant to chipping and tearing, which ensures an overall long life of the tire. Michelin backs that with a 60,000-mile limited warranty (or 6 years), and mentions the tire is bound to have a 35 percent longer life on gravel than its rivals. On the other hand, on the highway, the tire performs with reduced vibrations and noise and is promised to offer a very comfortable ride as well.
What do we think of it?
As a stock replacement for 18s, the Michelin LTX works well. And the users have shown confidence in the tire’s all-season grip and overall long-life claims as well. The enhanced ride comfort and reduced road noise both are appreciated.
- Long life
- Equally long warranty
Sweet 17: Toyo Open Country A/T II
No products found.
It’s not that the smaller tire sizes aren’t common with the Ram 1500 since on certain models 17s and 18s continue to be offered as factory fitments. We’ve covered the 18-inch tire with the Michelin model above, and for 17-inch, the popular choice happens to be Toyo Open Country A/T II.
The all-terrain tire is also all-season, features an aggressive sidewall (for improved performance on the rough terrain), wear-resistant tread compound for longer life, and a standard 65,000 miles warranty. The tread itself features stone-ejecting blocks (which means stones don’t get trapped between the tread; improves traction), tie bars between blocks for better stability, and polygonal blocks and zigzag sipes for respectable performance in the snow.
Depending on the model you choose, the tire is available with a different shoulder design. The LT version comes with a scalloped shoulder. Toyo’s confidence in the tire’s ability is further cemented with the 500-mile/45-day trial offer, according to which if you aren’t satisfied with the performance you can return the tire (under said mileage/period). Please contact the seller for more information on the same.
What do we think of it?
With reassuring reviews, it’s safe to say the Toyo Open Country is a good choice for 17-inch stock replacement. Users like the tires not only because of their fairly reasonable price, but also because they aren’t too noisy on the tarmac, and off the road, the ride isn’t too bad either. But you must also keep in mind that they offer a balance between all-season grip, price, and long life.
- A good compromise
- Longest warranty
- Still a compromise
Toughness Exemplified: BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2
- CoreGard Technology: Tougher Sidewall Rubber: Split & bruise resistant sidewall rubber, derived from BFGoodrich's race proven Baja T/AKR2 tire. Thicker, Extended Shoulder Rubber: Increased rubber thickness, extending down the sidewall to protect more of the critical sidewall failure zone. Advanced Deflection Design: Computer predicted object path design deflects protruding objects from snagging & splitting the sidewall.
- Specially formulated tread rubber: Optimally blended to reduce chip and tear for superior gravel road endurance. Advanced tire footprint shape: results in more evenly distributed stress, for longer more uniform wear. Interlocking Tread Design: provide increased tread block stability, for more even wear over the long haul Stone Ejectors: Rejects stone retention & provides extra tread cleanout protection against stone drilling.
- Upper Sidewall Traction Bars: Protruding sidewall rubber blocks that provide increased mud, snow & rock traction, especially in aired-down driving situations. Mud-Phobic Bars: Raised bars in the shoulder tread area that helps to release compacted mud for enhanced traction in muddy and soft soil conditions.
- Serrated Shoulder Design: Staggered shoulder blocks that provide greater maneuverability in soft soil and deep snow conditions. Locking 3-D Sipes: 3-D active sipe technology, that provides more biting edges for significantly increased snow traction. 3 Peak Mountain Snowflake: Exceeds Rubber Manufacturer Association (RMA) Severe Snow Traction requirements.
It’s called the BFGoodrich’s toughest all-terrain tire ever, and there’s no need to question that because the tire-maker backs that claim with some solid features on this tire. Here we’ve featured the 17-inch tire in the 265/70 size, which doubles up as a standard stock replacement on certain Dodge/Ram 1500 models.
Toughest A/T by BFG
So what makes the BFGoodrich T/A KO2 the toughest all-terrain tire from the company ever? There’s a lot that’s achieved with the construction and sidewalls. The shoulder shield is thicker and ensures the core of the tire is protected from stray/sharp objects. Derived from BFG’s Baja expertise, the CoreGuard technology offers a split and bruise resistant sidewall.
The tread pattern itself is interlocking which furthers the tire’s stability and reduces irregular wear. Like others mentioned above, the tread is designed to ensure that small stones are ejected from the tire all by themselves. The locking 3D sipes help improve the tire’s traction whereas the serrated shoulder design ensures the truck has no issues in tackling slushy terrain or in snow and on rocks. The severe-snow-rated tire is backed by a standard warranty of 6 years or 50,000 miles.
What do we think of it?
The all-terrain tire is marketed as ready for almost everything you throw at it. The added strength is confirmed by the positive reviews from the users. They’re smooth both on and off the road, and not very noisy, either.
- Strong tire
- Fairly decent both on pavement and gravel
Road tire: Nitto All-Season Radial Tire
- Center tread pattern helps clear water from the tire for confident wet traction
- Inner and outer shoulder siping creates versatile traction for various conditions
- Outer shoulder improves tire-to-road contact for better dry handling and cornering
- Silica-reinforced tread compound enhances tread rigidity for better wet handling and braking
- This product is not for sale in the state of Arkansas
Offered in the same size as the factory fitment 20-inch tires on the Ram 1500 is the Nitto All-Season Radial. The road-biased tire trumps others in terms of road grip, noise, and overall tarmac performance. But if you’re planning to take your truck off the road this one isn’t for you.
But if you decide to use your daily driver truck only on the street, then this makes for an unmissable option. To start, it promises a good grip in both dry and wet conditions. The silica compound gives the tread additional rigidity for wet handling and braking. Its center tread pattern dissipates water quickly and the inner and outer shoulder sipes add further to the traction.
The outer shoulder on this improves the dry grip (both in a straight line as well as during cornering). It has an asymmetrical pattern because of which cross rotation is possible, and hence the chances of uneven wear are further reduced. In comparison to other off-road-spec or all-terrain tires, this is also quieter on the tarmac. It’s also comfortable and with a slanted three-dimension tread block, it improves the truck’s handling as well.
What do we think of it?
If you’re looking for a road-focused tire, the Nitto NT420S deserves your attention. Users have also mentioned improved road manners and gas mileage, which makes this a win-win choice. The only downside is that with shorter sidewalls, the overall stance of the truck changes drastically from what it would look on M/T or A/T tires. Check with the seller for warranty. Nitto offers a full tire replacement within a particular period from the date of purchase and wear. But if you’re beyond that, you will need to cough out certain charges.
- Great tire for on-road use
- Stands out in a sea of M/T or A/T tires
- Not suitable for off-roading
Final thoughts on the best tires for Ram 1500
The Ram 1500 is an accomplished truck, and the tire choice has to complement that. Let’s quickly break it down, TL;DR style. If you’re looking for only on-road use from your truck, the Nitto is an easy choice. It performs better than M/T and A/T tires because of its construction. The tread pattern limits it to road use, but with better grip, stability and braking performance (in both wet and dry), it stands tall. For those looking at 20-inch replacements, the Falken Wildpeak is a solid choice. The standard 18-inch stock replacement can easily be fulfilled by the Michelin LTX. And for the 17s, it’s a choice between the Toyo, which offers a good balance between grip and price, and the BFGoodrich that banks heavily on tire strength. No matter which tire you choose among these, it’s hard to go wrong.
To purchase the tire you like, you can click on the link and you’d be taken to Amazon to make the purchase. But before that, here are a few quick things that must be kept in mind:
- Check with the seller about the warranty, compatibility, and also the manufacturing date of the tire.
- Every tire has a shelf life, and online sellers might try to sell you the old stock, so be careful of that.
- Most tires mentioned above are either stock replacements or direct fits. These aren’t special purpose tires, so keep that in mind.
- It’s recommended to get things like wheel alignment and balancing done as you put fresh tires. This is bound to make them last longer. If you see uneven wear, it’s best to get the truck checked in order to not ruin the tire.
Tuner For 2014 Ram 1500 Hemi
Spark Plugs For 5.7 Hemi
Shocks For Dodge Ram 1500 2Wd
Exhaust System For Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi
Shocks For Dodge Dakota 4X4
Fender Flares For Ram 1500
Lift Kit For Ram 1500
Tonneau Cover For Ram 1500
Headers For 5.7 Hemi Ram
Shocks For Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Tires For Ram 1500
Side Steps For Ram 1500
Cold Air Intake For Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Fan Clutch For Dodge Cummins
Floor Mats For Ram 1500
Seat Covers For Ram 1500
20 Inch Tires For Dodge Ram 1500
Tuner For 5.7 Hemi Ram
Ball Joints For Dodge Ram 2500
Shocks For Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel 4X4
Lift Kit For Dodge Ram 2500
Subwoofer For Dodge Ram Quad Cab