The modern 6.4 Powerstroke engine started out in 1994, when Ford introduced the first 7.3L power stroke engine made by International, to the market, and immediately revolutionized the world of trucks. These engines brought power to the diesel truck world, with 210 hp and 425 lb-ft of torque.
Today, there is the 6.4L Compound Turbo, that uses a 6.4L four-valve common-rail V-8. This comes with an iron block and head engine to displace 390 cubic inches, with a compression ratio of 17.5:1, and bore and stroke of 3.87 x 4.13”. The weight of this engine is 1,130 pounds.
As of the May 2007 model, the 6.4 is still the most technologically advanced and quiet Power Stroke to date.
Now, if you want to add more power, more torque, more fuel efficiency and anything else are that starts with the word “more,” then you will need a tuner. Here is my list of the five best 6.4 Powerstroke tuners on the market today.
- The 5 Best Tuners for 6.4 Powerstroke:
- List of Top-Rated Tuners for 6.4 Powerstroke Comparison Table:
- REVIEWS YOU CAN TRUST
- The Tuners for 6.4 Powerstroke Reviews & Buyer’s Guide:
- 1. DiabloSport 8145 inTune i3 Platinum Performance Programmer – the best tuner for 6.4 Powerstroke
- 2. Bully Dog 40420 GT Platinum Diesel Diagnostic and Performance Tuner
- 3. DiabloSport 7301 Predator P2 Performance Tuner 2nd Generation
- 4. Edge Products 85401 CTS2 Diesel Evolution Programmer
- 5. Bully Dog 40460B GTX Watchdog Gauge Monitor and Tuner
The 5 Best Tuners for 6.4 Powerstroke:
- DiabloSport 8145 inTune i3 Platinum Performance Programmer – the best tuner for 6.4 Powerstroke
- Bully Dog 40420 GT Platinum Diesel Diagnostic and Performance Tuner
- DiabloSport 7301 Predator P2 Performance Tuner 2nd Generation
- Edge Products 85401 CTS2 Diesel Evolution Programmer
- Bully Dog 40460B GTX Watchdog Gauge Monitor and Tuner
List of Top-Rated Tuners for 6.4 Powerstroke Comparison Table:
REVIEWS YOU CAN TRUST
We strive to always give you genuine, accurate information. To do this, all of mechanicguides.com reviews are based on market research, expert input, and practical experience. This knowledge comes from a team of automotive journalists and an independent mechanic, Steve “Whip” Whipple who has 11 years of experience in the auto industry. For more information, see here.
The Tuners for 6.4 Powerstroke Reviews & Buyer’s Guide:
1. DiabloSport 8145 inTune i3 Platinum Performance Programmer – the best tuner for 6.4 Powerstroke
The DiabloSport 8145 inTune i3 Platinum Performance Programmer is perfect for any Powerstroke engine, its designed to provide you with preloaded dyno-tested tunes that will upgrade your engine’s performance immediately.
It doesn’t matter what 6.4 Powerstroke engine you have, if you have one, this is the tuner you want for improving performance, increasing fuel efficiency and giving you more torque.
Let’s start with the pre-tune power levels, you get three, and they provide the following adjustments:
- Power level 1 (93 Octane Performance Tune): 18 HP, 18 TQ
- Power level 2 (91 Octane Performance Tune): 13 HP, 18 TQ
- Power level 3 (87 Octane Performance Tune): 10 HP, 12 TQ
Apart from these presets, you get an exceptionally accurate and easy to use Touch Screen that provides you with Data Logging and the ability to Check and Clear all DTCs.
This model Accepts Custom Tunes From CMR and will Calibrate Speedometer For Gear Ratio and tire size.
You get to control the Cooling Fan, Disable Traction Control, and adjust the Idle RPM. You also get a Top Speed and Rev Limiter, as well as a Shift Firmness calibration with Torque Management Adjustment.
Included is the Part Throttle Shift Points with Global Timing Adjustment and the Wot Cam Adjustment vs. RPM with Wot Fuel Rich Lean Adjustment and Wot Shift RPM as well as Wot Spark Timing Advance Retard.
- New “Easy Tune” Mode for Simple Installation
- Dyno Tested Performance Programs
- Fast Vehicle Read/Write Times
- Windows, Mac OSX and Linux Connectivity
- OBD-II Data Logging
- Read and Clear DTC
- Multi-Vehicle Licenses Option
This is a performance racing only model, which means you can only use it where its legal. However, where it is legal, this little box of fun will provide you with exceptional tunes for exceptional performance racing.
This is the Bully Dog GT Diesel 40420, and it’s as all the Bully Dog models, jam-packed with so many features you can go blind just reading them all in one session. This model is a four in one device that includes a vehicle engine tuner, monitor, gauge and diagnostic device.
OK, where to start, I always have issues where to start with a Bully Dog model, so I shall start at the beginning. This is a Dyno Proven Performance device that stores 10 custom tunes and lets you perform the following adjustments to your vehicle’s performance.
You have three preset tunes, these are:
- Economy/ Tow Tune 50+ horsepower
- Performance Tune 75+ horsepower
- Extreme Tune 100+ horsepower/200lbs.-ft torque
Added to these tunes, you get to customize the speed and rev limiter, perform safety defueling, Calibrate the Speedometer and perform Transmission Tuning.
There are some nifty little perks that include adjusting the Seat Belt Reminder Chime and setting the Auto Door Lock.
You get Performance Gauge Functions that provide you with Real-Time Fuel economy, Average Fuel Economy, and Trip Fuel economy. You can also watch Load %, the Coolant temperature, and the Fuel rail pressure. That’s not all; there is also a reader for Manifold absolute pressure, Engine RPM, Speed, and Timing position. You also get to view Air intake temperature, Mass Air Flow (grams/sec.) and the Throttle position.
Obviously, you have Fuel level readings, Battery voltage status, Ambient air temperature, and Transmission temperature states, as well as an optional Pyrometer #1 & 2.
For diesel engines, you get the Boost reading, and IPW: injection pulse Width, Barometer, Oil temperature, and ICP: injection control pressure.
- 4 in 1 product
- Installation is easy it takes no more than 20 minutes
- No tools required
- Free internet update
The price is right, the product delivers, and it’s a perfect combo kit for an experienced 6.4 Powerstroke driver. Plug it in and start to play.
The Predator U7135 is a classic and original 6.4 Powerstroke tuner that comes in a neat little handheld package. This box will bring you up to 25 horsepower and 25 ft/lbs of tq.
The Predator U7135 improves your cars’ shifting and overall performance, and it comes with two preset power level tunes for easy adjustment, these are:
- Power Level 1 (Diablo Tune): 23 HP, 25 TQ
- Power Level 2 (Diablo 91 Octane Tune): 20 HP, 22 TQ
Now, add to these preset power levels the various options you can play around with, and you have an exceptional and budget-friendly device.
So, what are the additional features?
You get Data Logging with Check and Clear DTCs. You get to update your performance with internet software updates.
Obviously, you will get all the standard features of any good tuner that includes:
Calibrate Speedometer for Gear Ratio, Top Speed and Rev Limiter, Cooling Fan Control, Shift Points and Shift Firmness adjustments. This model will also eliminate downshifting when climbing hills
- High-definition, 2.8″ color screen
- Easy to use 5 button interfaces
- Increased memory with a faster processor
- Performance tuning for Economy, Towing, Daily Driving, & Extreme Tuning
- Speedometer correction for changes in tire size and gear ratio
- Tuning for shift points, shift firmness, and TQ management
- Internet updates
- Read and clear diagnostic trouble codes
A very basic model that is simple to use and is a perfect starter device.
The Edge Evolution CTS2 is a leader in the pack of this category of devices. It comes with a hefty price tag that will kick you in the guts, but it will definitely kick your engines guts into overdrive too.
The Evolution CTS2 is not the most expensive model out there for no reason, this is the leading edge in technology, and in the hands of a virtuoso will squeeze out every bit of performance from any 6.4 Powerstroke engine.
What you get is a slim, sleek case that houses a large 5” full color, high-resolution, swipe screen. You get to customize your interface with a custom color mixer for gauge arcs, needles, and backgrounds. This monitor is big enough to give you multiple gauge screen layouts with fully customizable backgrounds, and a load of gauges to view in one shot.
The screen provides a one-touch easy menu navigation experience. The screen comes with an integrated light sensitivity meter that will calibrate the brilliance of the screen to the ambient light condition.
There is an HDMI style plug for power and for linking to EAS accessories.
So, apart from being a sexy package, has it got brains too? Well, yes, it’s a rocket scientist with the body of a porn star.
To start off with you get an additional 180HP and 440 ft-lb TQ on Diesel, and up to 50HP with 50 ft-lb TQ on Gas engines.
This model comes with a complete set of shift points, shift firmness, TQ management, fuel pressure tuning, and more. You get to adjust speed and rev limiters, as well as make adjustments to correct the speedometer. You also get to switch between US or Metric units, and you can update everything via the internet.
Note, I didn’t give you a full list of the features, because that would fill up the Library of Congress and we don’t want that here.
- Slim, sleek case design
- 5” full color, high-resolution, swipe screen
- Custom color mixer for gauge arcs, needles, and backgrounds
- Multiple gauge screen layouts
- Fully customizable backgrounds
- HDMI style plug for power and linking EAS accessories
- One-touch easy menu navigation
- Notification center
The price is indicative of its capabilities; this is an exceptional model that performs to expectations, the reason its too and not beyond, is due to the price. This is the Merc of Powerstroke models and is priced for the experienced and professional use only.
This is the Bully Dog GTX Watchdog, which means you need to prepare for another big pile of data that will swamp your screen, numb your mind and blow you away. So now that you have been warned, let’s take a look at this amazing 6.4 Powerstroke monitor tuner.
I decided to take a different route with this review; the product is so complete that it’s ridiculous trying to write down all the features, which I did anyway, in the Feature section.
For a short performance write up, I will state that the Bully Dog comes with a 5” touchscreen that is fully adjustable and customizable.
You also get a powerful CPU that processes data near to light speed, and you get fast reflexing results on the screen, all the time.
Now its time to be blown away by the list of features, you have been prepared.
- Accelerator Pedal Position/Relative
- Actual Engine % Torque
- Altitude Adjust Table Select High/Low
- Ambient Air Pressure, Temperature
- Barometric Pressure
- Battery Voltage
- Charge Cooler Temperature, Flow
- Charged Air Cooler Outlet Temp
- Compressor Inlet Density, Outlet Temp
- Diesel Exhaust Fluid Line Press
- Diesel Particulate Filter Press
- DPF Operating State
- DPF Soot Level
- Drivers Demanded Engine % Torque
- EGR Cooler Efficiency, Flow Rate, Position, Temperature, Valve Position
- EGT-1 DOC Inlet Temperature
- EGT-2 DOC Outlet Temperature
- EGT-3 DPF Outlet Temperature EGT-4 SCR CAT Mid-Bend Temperature
- EGT-5 SCT CAT Outlet Temperature
- Engine Coolant Temperature, Load (Absolute), Speed, Torque, Torque Actual, Torque Control, Torque Desired
- Exhaust Pressure
- Fuel Control, Level Remaining, Pressure Reg Current, Rail Pressure Actual/Commanded
- Horsepower Rotational
- Injector Duty Cycle – Bank 1, Bank 2
- Intake Manifold Temperature
- Intake Throttle Position
- Line Pressure
- Main Injection Fuel Quantity, Time, Timing
- Mass Air Flow
- MPG Average, Instant Oil Pressure
- Pedal Position
- Pilot Timing
- Post 1,2,3,4 Fuel Quantity
- Post Timing
- Radiator Fan Speed
- Regen State
- Throttle Pos Actual, Commanded
- Torque Converter Clutch
- Transmission Gear Actual, Commanded, Oil Temperature
- Turbine Speed
- Turbo Boost, Compressor Inlet Temp
- Turbocharger Speed
- Vehicle Odometer, Speed
- VGT % Closed Commanded, Position Actual, Desired, Actuator % Closed/Commanded
I don’t think I need to add more, just go out and buy this model, its got an average price for the category, and it delivers, well everything. I expect the next model will also deliver pizza’s too, after all, you need to replenish your energy constantly when using this comprehensive model.