In this guide, I will review tool chests, and I include a wide range of types, bringing you multi-drawer table tops to handheld general compartment tool chests, the common factor that links each unit mentioned is the price, it is under $1000.
- The 5 Best Tool Chests Under £1000:
- REVIEWS YOU CAN TRUST
- Find the best Tool Chest for you:
- 1. Thor Kitchen 72″ Wide 15 Drawer Stainless Steel Anti-Fingerprint Tool Chest with Work Station – the best tool chest under £1000
- 2. Viper Tool Storage V4109BLC 41-Inch 9-Drawer 18G Steel Tool Chest, Black
- 3. The Original Pink Box PB2603C 26-Inch 3-Drawer 18G Steel Top Chest, Pink
- 4. Kennedy Manufacturing 526B 8-Drawer Machinist’s Chest with Friction Slides, Brown Wrinkle
- 5. Kennedy Manufacturing 1022R 22 Hand-Carry Portable Cantilever Metal Tool Box, Industrial Red
- 6. Homak 27-Inch Professional Series 9 Drawer Extended Top Chest, Blue, BL02027901
- 7. Stanley Proto J442710-4Rd-Ic 440SS Intermediate Chest, 4 Drawer, Red
- 8. Gladiator GarageWorks GATC26P6WG Premier Tool Chest
- 9. Greenlee 1332 Storage Chest, 32-Inch By 14-Inch By 19-Inch
- 10. Jobox 48in. Heavy-Duty Steel Chest – Site-Vault Security System, Model# 1-654990
The 5 Best Tool Chests Under £1000:
- Thor Kitchen 72″ Wide 15 Drawer Stainless Steel Anti-Fingerprint Tool Chest with Work Station – the best tool chest under £1000
- Viper Tool Storage V4109BLC 41-Inch 9-Drawer 18G Steel Tool Chest, Black
- The Original Pink Box PB2603C 26-Inch 3-Drawer 18G Steel Top Chest, Pink
- Kennedy Manufacturing 526B 8-Drawer Machinist’s Chest with Friction Slides, Brown Wrinkle
- Kennedy Manufacturing 1022R 22 Hand-Carry Portable Cantilever Metal Tool Box, Industrial Red
|Product name||Photo||Dimensions||Weight||More information|
|1. Thor Kitchen 72" Wide 15 Drawer||18 x 72 x 37.5 inches||280 pounds||View on Amazon|
|2. Viper Tool Storage V4109BLC||42 x 20.5 x 17.6 inches||137 pounds||View on Amazon|
|3. The Original Pink Box||12 x 26 x 15.2 inches||54.4 pounds||View on Amazon|
|4. Kennedy Manufacturing 526B||8.5 x 26.8 x 13.6 inches||39.2 pounds||View on Amazon|
|5. Kennedy Manufacturing 1022R 22||10 x 22.1 x 12.6 inches||18 pounds||View on Amazon|
|6. Homak 27-Inch||26 x 17.5 x 17 inches||100.3 pounds||View on Amazon|
|7. Stanley Proto J442710-4Rd-Ic 440SS||30.3 x 20.8 x 13.6 inches||70.9 pounds||View on Amazon|
|8. Gladiator GarageWorks GATC26P6WG||28 x 21.5 x 19 inches||83.6 pounds||View on Amazon|
|9. Greenlee 1332 Storage Chest||30 x 60 x 30 inches||78 pounds||View on Amazon|
|10. Jobox 48||24 x 48 x 27.8 inches||146 pounds||View on Amazon|
REVIEWS YOU CAN TRUST
We strive to always give you genuine, accurate information. To do this, all of mechanicguides.com reviews are based on market research, expert input, and practical experience. This knowledge comes from a team of automotive journalists and an independent mechanic, Steve “Whip” Whipple who has 11 years of experience in the auto industry. For more information, see here.
This made life both easy and hard, it was easy to focus on tool chests defined by price, but it was hard to find the best quality for the money, and that is why you have here featured different types, each one representing the tip of its range within the price constraint set.
Find the best Tool Chest for you:
1. Thor Kitchen 72″ Wide 15 Drawer Stainless Steel Anti-Fingerprint Tool Chest with Work Station – the best tool chest under £1000
- 15 drawers of storage
- Rubberwood on top
- 100 pound rated drawer slide
This is a large tool-chest table design, on castor wheels and is big enough to be a workstation too. This amazing feat of engineering is a great addition to your garage or even outdoor patio kitchen area. You can also use it in any workplace.
Body (& Wheels)
Stainless steel body on four castor wheels, it’s a bottom rollaway design, and it comes with a rubberwood top and weighs 280lbs of solid storage strength.
There are 15 drawers in total, and the dimensions are 37.5” x 72” x 18”
If you are looking for a strong and large capacity solution that can be used for storing small to large tools, spare parts and just about anything you need in a tidy and organized manner, this is the one for you. The handles make it easy to move around. Take into account that when full this unit can weigh over a half a ton, so make sure your wheels are constantly oiled for maintenance and maneuverability.
- Built tough from 18G steel
- 100 LB rated full extension ball bearing drawer slides
- Cam lock. Gas Struts on lid
- Powder coated finish
- Extruded aluminum drawer pulls and two side handles
This is your standard worktop storage unit; it’s a steel tool chest and a very well organized one at that. This box is meant to sit on your worktop; it’s a heavy one, not meant to be portable. You can also place it in the back of your pickup or van if you need a mobile version.
18-gauge steel with a lot of storage options. This unit weighs 167lbs, so don’t expect to lug it around when empty, never mind when full.
There are 9 drawers supported by a 100lbs rated ball bearing sliding mechanism, so they are strong enough to support even the heaviest of tools that fit into a drawer.
Overall Dimensions are 42” x 17 5/8” x 20.5”
- 1 drawer 11 5/8” x 16” x 2 ¼”
- 4 drawers 23 5/8” x 16” x 2 ¼”
- 1 drawer 9 ¼” x 16” x 2 ¼”
- 1 drawer 11 5/8” x 16” x 2 ¼”
- 1 drawer 11 5/8” x 16” x 2 ¼”
- 1 drawer 11 5/8” x 16” x 8 1/8”
This is a very useful and organized unit and is well worth its price.
- Drawers feature 50 lb load rated smooth ball bearing slides with hold-in detents, aluminum pulls, and matching non-slip drawer liners
- Powder coated finish stands up to dings, scratches and chemicals better than other finishes
- Internal locking bar and tubular cam lock system keeps all drawers and lid secure with the convenience of one key
- 2 steel pull handles with comfortable grips allow you to easily take this chest with you
- Smooth opening lid compartment offers extra storage space
This is the barbie toolbox on steroids. I guess this chick wanted to be a bodybuilder because she is both strong, versatile and heavy for her size.
18-gauge steel body, tastefully painted in pink so you can’t miss her. This baby weighs in at 70lbs, so she is a bit heavy to lug around and can stand on any worktop or in any van or pickup.
There are 3 drawers, each using a 70lb ball bearing load bearing mechanism, which means you can store your tools and parts with ease. Dimensions are
- Lid compartment 25.75” x 10” x 2.5”
- Top drawer 22.3” x 10.5” x 5”
- Middle Drawer 22.3” x 10.5” x 6”
- Bottom Drawer 22.3” x 10.5” x 6”
Pink is the color that stands out, and if you want to see your toolbox among the many greasy grey black’s and Green’s, then get this one, you will never miss noticing it again.
- Tubular lock keeps contents secure
- Drop front panel conceals and secures drawers
- Felt-lined drawer and Till protects precision tools
- 6 adjustable drawer dividers
- Size : 26 3/4" W x 8 1/2” D x 13 5/8" H
When to comes to refinement and a toolbox for perfectionists, then the Howard & Charles Kennedy designed metal toolbox and storage cabinet will blow your socks off. The original design started over a century ago, and the company decided it was so good, why fix something that ain’t broken? So they didn’t they just improved on its materials and overall outward look.
This is a steel body Tubular lock keeps contents secure and is aimed at storing fine tuning and fine tool arrangements. It comes with a drop front panel to conceal and secure the drawers when not in use.
The unit weighs only 36lbs, so even when filled it can be carried out if needed.
The drawers use friction slides since they are not meant for heavy load bearing contents. Each drawer is will (felt) lined to secure precision instruments from damage. There are 8 drawers and 6 adjustable drawer dividers in this model.
Overall dimensions: 26 3/4″ x 8 1/2” x 13 5/8″
This is an engineer dream toolbox, reminiscent of the clock making days gone by. If you require a fine tool and parts container, this is the one to get.
- Kennedy Transport your tools with ease using this portable tool box. Powder coat finished steel
- Cantilever Tool Box opens to see all your tools at a glance
- Removable, adjustable partitions and dividers create compartments for organized tray storage
- Vinyl cushioned handles for comfort grip
- Made in the USA
Welcome to the rest of the world. Yup, we had to chuck in a few drops and lift boxes. This is one of them, the classic design for everyone that wants a portable toolbox. You can either be neat and clean every tool or just chick and lift it along, ending up with that standard greasy looking, battered toolbox that every American homeowner recognizes when their plumber comes a-visiting.
This is a 20-gauge steel cantilever box, with sturdy carry handle. The box itself weighs 18lbs, so its ideal for lifting, and unless you cast molten osmium into it, even when full it is portable. The carry handle is covered in vinyl to make it more comfortable to lug around.
22-gauge compartments, one of the trays comes with socket set dividers. Dimensions are 22-1/8” depth, 10-1/16” Height, 12-5/8” width. There is a total of 4 trays and one main compartment.
What can be said about the most popular design there is. This is one contender for the crown of visiting tradesman tool boxes, and honestly, I have more than one lying around. I actually have three different colored ones, each one for different tool purposes.
- Hmc high security tubular locking system
- Full extension Gas struts
- Bottom shelf
- Large push handle for easy mobility
This is the HMC high-security tubular locking system with 3.2 mil Epoxy-polyester powder coat paint finish. OK, nuff of the commercialism, down to facts. This is a very strong and efficient draw system that I like a lot and is really cost effective.
Steel body with full-length aluminum drawer handles to make access easier. The lid has locking hinges, and the body is made of 1.0mm thick steel, the frame is 1.0mm, and the drawers are 8mm thick steel.
Overall weight is 79lbs.
There is 9 drawers that come with liners and top mat and sit on 250mm replaceable ball-bearing slides. Each drawer can support up to 66lbs of the load. The drawer dimensions are:
- 6 Drawers 6-5/8″ x 15-3/4″ x 1-7/8″
- 2 Drawers 22-1/2″ x 15-3/4″ x 1-7/8″
- 1 Drawer 22-1/2″ x 15-3/4″ x 2-3/8″
This is a classic box design drawer system; however, it is a strong one, with great load-bearing drawers, very sturdy steel frame and body as well as carrying handles to get a hernia when lifting it while full. This is great value for money and will sit on the floor or any worktop with pride.
- Cubic inch capacity is 2,505
- Maximum weight capacity for each drawer is 100 lbs
- Aluminum extruded drawer pulls
- 100-Degree Full extension drawers
- Recessed drawer pulls
This is the Stanley intermediate chest, and its built for weight bearing heavy load drawers.
Steel body weighing 80lbs and comes with a vinyl top.
There are 4 drawers, each one is recessed and has an aluminum drawer pull. The drawers pull out 100%, and they can hold up to 100lbs of weight each.
- Cubic inch capacity is 2,505
- Overall dimensions are 18” x 10” x 27”
There is not much to add to this sturdy and simple toolbox. It’s a rectangular box holding 4 drawers and sits very nicely on any work surface. The vinyl top is a good touch to place the parts and tools you are using at the time.
- 6 drawers with steel ball-bearing slides and cushioned drawer liners
- Heavy-duty welded steel construction supports up to 300 lbs
- Gas struts provide the lid with smooth opening and closing operation
- Features five 2-in tall full-width drawers ideal for screwdrivers and wrenches plus one 3-in tall full-width drawer ideal for larger hand tools such as hammers and mallets; the chest also includes a 2.75-in tall divided top till
- The 6-drawer tool chest can be combined with the (Premier) 7-drawer roll-away and (Premier) 3-drawer intermediate chest to create a 3-piece stackable tool chest for maximum storage
This is a versatile toolbox unit because it comes as part of a three-system unit. This is the top unit, so you can buy this one as a standalone, and when you need to add more storage space, buy the lower units. The lowest unit in the set is the Gladiator GarageWorks Premier Roll-Away Tool Chest, so you end up with a trolling tool chest rather than a worktop one.
The Six-Drawer Tool Chest features an internal locking system, requiring the lid to be open in order to open individual drawers. If you’re moving the chest, this safety mechanism will keep the drawers from opening. For further security, this chest is also lockable with its GarageWorks-compatible key.
Durable steel construction that weighs in at 86lbs.
There are six drawers on this unit, and they can support 50lbs each, so a total of 200lbs can be stored in this model.
The drawers use a friction-catch method combined with easy-roll ball-bearing slide support. The top unit has a compartment, and the whole system uses gas Struts for smooth opening and closing.
Dimensions: 19” x 26” x 17.1”
This is a very sturdy toolbox with one major advantage over most of its competitors; it is part of a complete system. You can buy just this top component or add it to one of the other two. Exceptional value for money.
- Leading manufacturer of high-quality tools
- Trusted and used by experts, professionals and those who know quality
- Proven and Tested for durabilty and function in real world job site conditions
- Seven US Based Manufacturing Facilities
- United States Workforce
This is a classic military box style storage compartment. It is a high-security box and comes with some impressive features. However, it is only a box, so you get one compartment, and you either place all your tools neatly inside or just chuck ‘em in as you like, it’s up to you.
160guage steel, sitting on 3 ½” skids, This is a patented model, it has a recessed and concealed lock and protector. This unit is hard to drill and cut, so you can store some expensive items in this one if you want extra protection. The lid comes with a bolster for extra support and is finger grooved for easier opening.
While I did state it’s a one compartment box, it actually does have a small items storage tray.
There are different model sizes, so you have to decide what size is right for you, they are:
- AA Capacity Vol.:20 cu ft, Width:60”, Depth:24”, Height:24”, Wt.:182 lb.
- AB Width:32”, Depth:19”, Height:14”, Wt.:83 lb.
- AC Width:36”, Depth:19”, Height:17”, Wt.:99 lb.
- AD Width:42”, Depth:20”, Height:20”, Wt.:113 lb.
- AE Width:48”, Depth:24”, Height:24”, Wt.:113 lb.
- AF Width:48”, Depth:30”, Height:30”, Wt.:183 lb.
I have to state off the record, I was in the army and had an army locker box, and this sort of takes me back to those days. That’s why I like it. Its useful and I store a lot of my heavy stuff in it. You should too; it’s aggressive and efficient.
- Full-length 12-gauge steel lock console with 3 locking points is virtually impossible to bend or pry open
- Fully welded padlock housing
- Full-length A-frame lid bolster
- 1in. locking areas
- Staked & welded hinge, made of 14-gauge steel, 3/8in. continuous hinge with 1/4in. steel pin and extra-large 1in. knuckles
This is the Jobox, their 48” version, and is a great box storage unit. It is also extra secure since it comes with their proprietary site-vault-security system, which is fancy PR for added locking points. This means that its harder to pry open if you lost your key, so don’t lose it.
16-gauge steel with three locking joints and a welded lock housing. It comes with a full A-frame lid bolster and staked & welded 14-gauge steel hinges. The hinge is a continuous 3/8” channel with ¼” steel pin and 1” knuckles. This is a very sturdy box, weighing in at 146lbs.
This is a one box compartment, so here are the specs.
- Capacity (cu. ft.): 15.4,
- Dimensions 48” x 24” x 27 ¾”
If you are looking for strong, sturdy and simple, this is the one to get. Just clean your hammers and spanners from grease, or you’ll end up with a sardine can. Great value for money, really great value.
Tool chests come in a variety of sizes and shapes, as well as being either generic or bespoke; there is no real determining factor to set criteria for storage. Each type of storage has many solutions, and each solution is specific to the needs. Just make sure you buy a strong unit, made with good materials, and from a recognized manufacturer.
Garage Door Rollers
Tool Chest Under 1000
Garage Door Insulation Kit
Screwdrivers For Mechanics
Engine Oil Additive
Throttle Body Cleaner
Truck Tool Box
Automotive Paint Gun For Beginners
383 Stroker Kit
4L60E Rebuild Kit
110V Stick Welder
Pittsburgh Tools Review
Garage Floor Cleaner