So, you want to save some cash and change your own tire. Sure, go ahead, but remember that the tire is the most important part of the vehicle, it is what places the vehicle on the road, and maintains contact with the surface of the road. Essentially, the tire is the first and foremost safety device in your vehicle.
The 5 Best Manual Tire Changers:
- Goplus Manual Portable Hand Tire Changer Bead Breaker Tool Mounting Home Shop Auto – the best manual tire changer
- PowerLift Manual Tire Changer Base, 15-3/8-18-1/2″
- Goplus 17.5″ to 24″ Tire Changer Mount Demount Removal Tool Tubeless Truck Bead (Yellow)
- Tire Mount Demount Tool, Steel Aluminum tire changer tools tubeless truck bead
- Goplus Bike Tire Changer Change Tyre Wheel for 16″ Rims or Larger Bicycle Motorcycle Portable Bead Breaker
Top-Rated Manual Tire Changer List:
|Product name||Photo||Feature||Pros||More information|
|1. Goplus Manual Portable Hand Tire Changer||This is the Goplus Manual Portable Hand Tire Changer||More Information|
|2. PowerLift Manual Tire||This is the PowerLift Manual Tire Changer Base, 15-3/8-18-1/2"||More Information|
|3. Goplus 17.5" to 24" Tire Changer Mount||This is the Goplus 17.5" to 24" Tire Changer Mount Demount Removal Tool Tubeless Truck Bead (Yellow)||More Information|
|4. Tire Mount Demount Tool, Steel Aluminum||This is the Tire Mount Demount Tool, Steel Aluminum tire changer tools tubeless truck bead||More Information|
|5. Goplus Bike Tire Changer Change Tyre Wheel for 16" Rims||This is the Goplus Bike Tire Changer Change Tire Wheel for 16" Rims||More Information|
REVIEWS YOU CAN TRUST
We strive to always give you genuine, accurate information. To do this, all of mechanicguides.com reviews are based on market research, expert input, and practical experience. This knowledge comes from a team of automotive journalists and an independent mechanic, Steve “Whip” Whipple who has 11 years of experience in the auto industry. For more information, see here.
If you have decided you still want to change your own tires, well, there are simple tools for this, after all, a tire changing process is actually a simple job, you remove the tire mechanically, and replace it the same way. You just need a basic tire changing tool for this, and you can even build your own if you are so included.
You will note that some of the items here are bases, and other tools, you will need to buy a full kit, which includes a base and tools for optimum performance. Also take note, that the larger the tire, the harder it will be to change it manually, not only the weight issues hamper this operation, but the structure of the tire is harder to manipulate.
Now let’s take a look at the best heavy duty manual tire changer options and look at the best tire changer on the market. There are in fact a few of them, and you will notice these are very simple tools that perform a very precise job, just like a scalpel.
Best Manual Tire Changer Reviews:
1. Goplus Manual Portable Hand Tire Changer Bead Breaker Tool Mounting Home Shop Auto – the best manual tire changer
- 【Durable Material】This tire changer is made of sturdy steel which is durable and sturdy to keep its shape. It provides stabilization and balance ideally under heavy wheels.
- 【Wide Applicability】It is ideal for wheels’ size from 8" to 16". It fits almost all types of tires from cars to light trucks.
- 【High Quality Paint】It is painted with glossy anti-rust and corrosion-resistant paint, which can be used both indoors and outdoors. Also, it is very easy to clean.
- 【Convenient Design】It can be used for both mounting and dismounting tire. It is easy to use no matter where you are. And with the locking collar, it will holds tire securely. Makes work safe and convenient when you operate.
- 【Easy to Assemble】All assembly hardware are included. Clear and brief instruction makes it much easier to put together, which can save much time for you.
This base changer is made of heavy-duty steel and handles all tires from 8” to light trucks. It is also capable of handling flotation tires. When you add the 60810-motorcycle attachment, you will be able to handle all 11” to 25” bike tire replacements too. This model is 37-1/2” high and 18-1/2 in long.
This is a classic tire changer tool, and you should consider this as the first choice when deciding what to buy. It is a great starter kit, as well as a great performance tool once you are experienced in using it.
2. PowerLift Manual Tire Changer Base, 15-3/8-18-1/2″
- Base: 15-3/8" x 181/2"
- Rugged steel construction
- Handles tires from 8 inch to light truck
This is the base tire changer kit. This sets dimension is 15-3/8″ x 18-1/2″ and is made of steel, capable of handling all vehicle and light truck type tires. Essentially, this is a beginner set and is perhaps the one you want to buy for learning how to change tires. There are differences in operation between this style and the Goplus, and deciding which one is best for you will only come after experimenting with both.
3. Goplus 17.5″ to 24″ Tire Changer Mount Demount Removal Tool Tubeless Truck Bead (Yellow)
No products found.
The Goplus tire changer is a powerful, steady tool made of Forged carbon steel and has a 3mm seamless tube main-body for extra strength. This tool is coated in a powder coated gloss for added resistance to corrosion.
The changer will handle all 17.5″ to 24.5″ tires and protecting wheels, and uses only one tool for the entire operation. This is a toolset, not a changer base. You will need to buy a changer base for these to work with.
4. Tire Mount Demount Tool, Steel Aluminum tire changer tools tubeless truck bead
- Fit for Tires of Various Sizes - Designed to mount and dismount tires of 17.5 to 24.5 inches, this widely used tire bar tool set is suitable for most radial and bias ply tires such as car, truck, semi, and bus tires, greatly assist you handling the tasks of tire changing or retreading
- Change Tire Fast and Easily - Smooth surface to reduces friction, and optimal tire change angle, this set can help you change tire faster and more efficient. You can demount a tubeless tire within minutes and remount within minutes
- Protective Function - Changing tires can be strenuous and even dangerous work, but these new tire tools with nylon rollers will protect you from injury and protect your tires, rims, and tools from damage; and also provide quick and simple movements when working. effectively reduce stress and prevent strain
- Easy to Use - High-quality tire mount/demount tool set is specially designed to simplify mounting and demounting stubborn and protect the wheels. Eliminates the need to lift the rim to remove the bottom bead. Only one tool needed to mount and demount tires
- Constructed Build to Last - Constructed of heavy duty drop-forged carbon steel, with 3mm seamless tube main-body, and powder coated gloss finish surface, this tire mount/ demount tool set is corrosion and rust-proof, offering you the highest amount of durability and longevity
This is a demount and mount toolset. You will need a tire changer base for operation, but with these tools, you will succeed every time with an effortless level of performance.
These tools can be used with all 17.5” to 24.5” tires, protecting wheels, super singles up to 315, as well as most radial and Bias Ply Tires.
This kit is for large tires, so don’t try to change a motorbike or golf cart with these tools.
5. Goplus Bike Tire Changer Change Tyre Wheel for 16″ Rims or Larger Bicycle Motorcycle Portable Bead Breaker
- 【Durable Construction】Made of superior iron, this bead breaker is durable and has long service life.
- 【Long Handle Design】Equipped with long heavy duty handle for maximum breaking force, making tire changing quick and simple.
- 【Compact Size】This bead breaker would not take up too much space, you could place it at home or just on your motorbikes when not in use.
- 【Solid Foundation】Solid wide base makes for solid foundation during use, which ensures the stability of the tire replacement.
- 【Wide Range of Application】This bead breaker is ideal for home use, auto repair shop, travel use, etc. And it is suitable for wheels and tires which has diameter of 16" or larger, could be apply on different motorbikes.
The Goplus Bike tire changer is obviously for changing motorbike tires and is designed specifically for this purpose. Place this on any solid surface, and you can handle all tire sizes that are 16” diameter and above
This is a portable model, so its great for taking to competitions and race tracks. It is also great for the off-road situation and is made of iron. This models dimension is 29.5″L x 20″ W x 14″H and it weighs 16.4 lbs.
How to use a manual tire changer
I added this video, which shows how to (and not to) replace a tire. This is actually a very good video since the narrator/tire changer explains each step and adds personal experience.
Step 1: Setting Up
Anchor the device to your floor, make sure you anchor all four posts securely. You do this by drilling holes in the concrete floor, and then place the anchor and screw the bolts firmly into place. If you have a lug wrench or torque wrench, use it.
Secure the four posts to the main piece using the hardware that comes with your kit.
Step 2: Preparing the Wheel
Remove all the air from the tire, do this by removing the valve stem. Make sure you have a valve stem removal tool, if not, pull it out with pliers (the old-fashioned way).
Now place the wheel, face side up onto the manual tire changer.
Step 3: Removing the Tire
First, break off any wheel weights using a standard cutter or plier.
Now take the pry bar, and place it between the tire and the wheelbase. Now pry the tire over the wheelbase, and continue doing this until all the tire surface is over the wheelbase.
Now you need to repeat this for removing the lower section over the wheelbase; you do this by placing the pry bar between the tire and the wheelbase and turn again.
Step 4: Applying the Tire
Now you perform the same process, whereby you take the replacement side of the pry bar and set the tire against the surface of the pry bar, you initially apply hand pressure on the tire and press the tire, after the first part is under the wheelbase, rotate until all the tire is in place.
Now perform the same function for the second lip and presto you will have replaced the tire.
The total time to replace a tire should be around 2 minutes for removal and maybe 3 for applying a new one. As with any new expertise, practice makes perfect, so I suggest you take a scrap wheelbase and a scrap tire and practice. Also, practice with motorbike tires, car tires, and truck tires, so you understand the difference between the three sizes and rigidity of tire surfaces.
Note that this tire changing explanation is for car and truck tires, not bike tires. The operation of which is similar, but less stressful.
Manual tire changer plans
Back in 1984, a great garage smith named Richard C. Banfield posted this online, and it is the DIY bible for tire changing tools. I add the PDF that shows the parts, and the materials used. Banfield stated that you would need some basic metalworking skills, and this includes welding and torch work. You will also need the following tools:
- Drill with 3/8″, 27/64″, 1/2″, and 5/8″ highspeed bits
- Oxyacetylene torch,
- 1/2″-13 tap,
- tape measure,
- pipe wrench (for leverage).
- You might consider some hole saws too.
The plans are hand drawn and show you the essentials of building your own manual tire changer. Personally, buying one for a couple of bucks is cheaper and easier, but sometimes when you build something, you get to appreciate and understand its operation much better.
Off Road GPS
Spray in Bedliner
Aftermarket Car Antenna
Brake Pads for Towing
Sheepskin Seat Covers
Neoprene Seat Covers
Retractable Bed Cover
Wheel Paint for Aluminum
Manual Tire Changer
Battery for Diesel Truck
Hidden Car Radio Antenna
Subwoofer for Single Cab Truck
Do It Yourself Bed Liner
Replacement Headlight Bulbs
Leave a Comment