- Truck Frame Rust Converter Reviews:
- REVIEWS YOU CAN TRUST
- 1. Good performance and variety of choices: Corroseal Rust Converter – Best Rust Converter for Truck Frame
- 2. Easy to apply: VHT Rust Convertor Can
- 3. Peace of mind: FDC Rust Converter Ultra
- 4. Another solid choice: Gempler’s RCQ Rust-Converter and Primer
- 5. Sprayer included: Rust Kutter Rust Converter
- What is the best rust converter?
Rust is possibly the biggest problem any truck can face. Mechanical and electrical issues can be dealt with by changing the faulty parts. But when something starts eating up your beloved truck, it’s a very different story. Rust can be hard to control as it eats your truck part by part — unless you have rust converters, also called rust treatments. This magical liquid will help you remove the rust by basically saving the surface from further corrosion. It can be particularly useful if you happen to live where there’s more moisture in the air, where your truck is more susceptible to rusting. Let’s take a look at the popular choices to help you find the best rust converters for the truck frame.
Truck Frame Rust Converter Reviews:
REVIEWS YOU CAN TRUST
We strive to always give you genuine, accurate information. To do this, all of mechanicguides.com reviews are based on market research, expert input, and practical experience. This knowledge comes from a team of automotive journalists and an independent mechanic, Steve “Whip” Whipple who has 11 years of experience in the auto industry. For more information, see here.
1. Good performance and variety of choices: Corroseal Rust Converter – Best Rust Converter for Truck Frame
- Paint, prime and convert rust in one step - water based rust converter with latex metal primer
- Restore metal surfaces, extend life of metal equipment by protecting it from rust and corrosion
- Non-flammable and non-corrosive, water-based formula cleans up with just soap and water
- Easy to apply - brush, roll or spray; apply at 8-10 mils wet for 200-250 sq ft per gallon coverage
- Use for all marine, automotive, general household and industrial applications
The Corroseal Rust Converter is a water-based product that will ensure the rust on your truck’s frame stops spreading. It converts rust into a stable magnetite substance, which is black and inert. It’s one of the most popular choices out there, and is available in a couple of choices: 1 Gal, 1 Qt, 5 Gal, and as a Surface Prep Cleaner 32 oz. The model we’ve chosen here is the 1 gallon one, which the company says can be good for 200 – 250 square feet of coverage if applied at 8 – 10 mils.
The water-based rust converter and metal primer can be brushed, rolled, or sprayed on to the surface. Note that you’ll need to already have or purchase the corresponding equipment. It’s non-flammable, non-corrosive, and can be cleaned with soap and water. Make sure to not apply this over newly galvanized surfaces or freshly blasted steel. When used correctly, it can extend the life of the part by guarding it against rust and corrosion. If you still have some leftover, you can use it for a ton of other things too. In addition to the vehicle frames, you can also use it on recreational equipment, utility trailers, ramps, floorboards, quarter panels, and in automotive restoration, among other things.
Why do we like it?
As a renowned and easy-to-apply product, the Corroseal converter does really well. Its non-flammable and non-corrosive properties make using it even better. It can also be applied in a variety of ways and can be cleaned up easily. There’s no information about the warranty, so check with the seller. Users are satisfied with the way it converts and saves the product from rusting. Tip: make sure to follow the instructions closely, because in some cases, you’ll need to prep the surface, otherwise the product won’t work.
- Easy to apply
2. Easy to apply: VHT Rust Convertor Can
- Rust convertor is a unique product designed to spray directly on rusted areas
- Sprays on clear and turns to a black metal
- Prevent future rust from forming
- Rust convertor sands to a smooth, even finish
- This item is not for sale in Catalina Island
The biggest advantage of picking up the VHT Rust Convertor is that it’s possibly the easiest to apply. You just pick up the can (available as a single can or a pack of six) and use it directly on the surface. It’ll then convert the rusted surface to black, which won’t just save the surface but also ensure the rust doesn’t travel further. It’s made to be sprayed directly on to the rusted areas.
Available in 11 oz cans
It can be eventually sanded to a smooth finish, but VHT mentions that you’ll need to allow 24 hours for the surface to dry before applying the topcoat. Each can is 11 oz. and can be applied over metal, body filler, fiberglass, etc. Truck frames are very compatible, and you can refer to the instructions for spraying and curing mentioned on each can.
Why do we like it?
The VHT Rust Convertor is easy to use, helps save the surface from rust, and can be painted once you sand it. The fact that you can just pick the can up and go makes a lot of sense if you’re looking at a consistent application without having to brush/roll. Plus, the small-capacity cans means you open exactly the amount you’d need. Check with the seller about application and warranty if any. Even though most users like the product, some have mentioned that they couldn’t get the desired results. Prepping is important, so keep that in mind.
3. Peace of mind: FDC Rust Converter Ultra
- CONVERT RUST: Convert rust to an inert coating that seals out moisture to prevent further corrosion
- SAFE TIME & MONEY: Eliminates the need for sandblasting, grinding or scraping
- EFFICIENT: 1 Gallon Covers 500 square of smooth, nonporous surface – That‘s an entire Dumpster!
- ULTIMATE PROTECTION: Convert toughest rust and corrosion caused by all types of weather conditions
- MULTI-USE: Use for automobiles, machinery, railings, structures, tools, marine applications and more! 30 DAY HASSLE FREE MONEY BACK GUARANTEE – We value our customers and we stand behind ALL of our products 100% with no questions asked! If you are not pleased simply call or email us with your order number and we will reimburse you in FULL!
Available in a 1-gallon bottle, the FDC Rust Converter Ultra is claimed to be an efficient and cost-effective rust converter. It’s also backed by a money-back guarantee (more on this below). The process is fairly simple: you apply it on the rusted surface, and the Converter changes that into an inert coating. This stops the surface from rusting any further. It protects iron and metal surfaces and is a water-based formula. That means it’s non-toxic and emits no harmful fumes. It’s also non-flammable. It just takes about 20 minutes to dry.
Prepping necessary (like in most cases)
Before application, the surface needs to be prepared by removing large particles and cleaning. The coverage is said to be 500 square feet per gallon, which is a lot. FDC mentions that you’ll need to let it cure for 48 hours before applying any paint. Read the instructions carefully for the best results.
Why do we like it?
The most reassuring bit about the FDC product is that you get a 30-day money-back guarantee if you aren’t satisfied with the product. Check with the seller if you’ll get this guarantee with them or if you have to contact the manufacturer directly. Users have been extremely pleased with the product. Like in the case of most products, some users do mention that rust comes back in some spots. But this can be because the surface wasn’t prepared properly or the user wasn’t about to coat the entire rusted part.
4. Another solid choice: Gempler’s RCQ Rust-Converter and Primer
- RESTORES YOUR OLD INVESTMENTS WITH TOTAL EASE – GEMPLER’S Rust Converter stops tools, vehicles, tanks or anything with a rusted steel/iron surface from rusting further by chemically converting the rust into an inert, black protective barrier.
- WORKS AS BOTH A PRIMER AND RUST CONVERTER– Once painted on, GEMPLER’S Rust Converter functions as a highly effective primer, making the treated surface ready to re-paint with an oil-based paint in just 48 hours.
- EASY TO APPLY & GOOD COVERAGE– Just use a normal wire brush to remove any loose or layered scale and rust, then apply GEMPLER’S Rust Converter with a regular paint brush or sponge. 1 Quart covers up to 125 sq ft.
- NO NEED TO SANDBLAST SURFACES – GEMPLER’S Rust Converter removes any need for sandblasting, heavy scraping or grinding down old rusted surfaces prior to use. It’s the fastest and easiest way to convert and restore old rusted surfaces.
- ECO-FRIENDLY – GEMPLER’S Rust Converter is environmentally safe, non-flammable, and made from an easy clean-up water-based formula.
The Gempler’s Rust-Converter and Primer is said to be the fastest way to convert and restore old rusted surfaces and applying it is easy as well. Depending on the model, you can spray, brush, or roll it. The one we’ve linked to doesn’t come with an applicator, but you can use a brush or sponge you probably already have to apply it on the surface. It’s also made of a water-based formula and is environmentally safe and non-flammable as well.
Available in 32 oz pack
You can apply this on the affected surface, and it will turn rust into an inert, black protective layer. This works as both a primer (for an already clean surface) and a rust converter (for a rusted surface). After it cures for 48 hours, you can apply paint to the surface to bring it back to its former glory. The pack here measures 1 Quart or 32 oz. The Amazon listing says the quantity is good enough to cover 125 square feet.
Why do we like it?
Before making the purchase, check with the seller to confirm how much of the converter you’ll need for your truck’s frame. There are no warranty details mentioned, so make a point of checking that as well. Users have been happy with how easy the converter is to apply, and how effectively it works as well.
5. Sprayer included: Rust Kutter Rust Converter
- Stops costly rust and corrosion
- Binds itself to the metal and prevents moisture and oxygen from attacking the metal surface
- Scrape loose paint/rust with wire brush, spray or paint on Rust Kutter, allow to dry(24hrs), rinse and allow to dry, and re-paint
- Rust must be present for this product to work. Do not spray this product on painted metal surfaces you do not intend to refinish
- Available in gallons & quarts
The Rust Kutter rust converter comes either in a 1-quart pack or a larger 1 gallon one. We’ve chosen the former here, and it comes in a spray bottle which will make applying the product very easy. Said to be effective on both exterior and interior parts, the rust converter is ready to use. It stops rust and also primes the surface to prevent further rusting.
Ability to cover 600 square feet
According to Rust Kutter, a gallon of this product can cover approximately 600 square feet. You first need to scrape loose paint from the affected surface. After that, you have to spray the product on to the surface, and you’re done. You’ll have to let it dry for 24 hours before proceeding to paint it.
Why do we like it?
Getting it as a spray bottle makes applying the Rust Kutter solution easy. You’ll need to follow the instructions closely to ensure the treated surface doesn’t rust again — and to have a spot-free finish. There’s no warranty information available, so it’d be a good idea to check with the seller. A gallon of the product roughly covers 600 square feet, so keep that in mind and purchase accordingly. Users have appreciated that it’s not very expensive and the fact that it works well.
What is the best rust converter?
The thing about rust converters is that these will work well only if the instructions are followed closely, otherwise, the rust can come back. For application, unless the product you choose comes with an applicator, you can choose between a spray gun, brush, or roller. Depending on your needs, these have positives and negatives.
Check with the seller about the warranty or money-back guarantee. For instance, only one of the popular products comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee. That is the FDC Rust Converter Ultra.
Most of these products come in different sizes. For example, like our pick for the overall best rust converter for truck frame, the Corroseal Rust Converter, can be bought in 1 Gal, 1 Qt, 5 Gal. While it lacks an applicator, the variety in size means you can get exactly as much as you need. The Rust Kutter one can be bought in either 1 quart or 1 gallon, Gempler’s is available in one-quart bottles, the previously mentioned FDC is 1 gallon, and VHT is available in the smallest size, 11 oz. cans.
The way these products work is fairly simple. You apply the converter, and it reacts with the rusted surface to form a black layer that’s non-reactive. You can let it dry for the specified time (mentioned above) and then cover it with the paint of your choice.
Off Road GPS
Spray in Bedliner
Aftermarket Car Antenna
Brake Pads for Towing
Sheepskin Seat Covers
Neoprene Seat Covers
Retractable Bed Cover
Wheel Paint for Aluminum
Manual Tire Changer
Battery for Diesel Truck
Hidden Car Radio Antenna
Subwoofer for Single Cab Truck
Do It Yourself Bed Liner
Replacement Headlight Bulbs