It’s no secret that the Ford F-150 is one of the most popular trucks on US soil, and why shouldn’t it be? It offers a lot for the money, and with a wide range, there’s a model for every need. If you own a Ford F-150, it’s only a matter of time before you’re curious about how to make your Ford stand out more. One of the best ways to do that is with the use of a tonneau cover (also known as a bed cover). It not only serves a great purpose (of covering the bed), it also makes the truck look more streamlined and, therefore, even more attractive. Keeping various uses and types in mind, we have a list of popular products to help you decide the best tonneau cover for F150.
- The 5 Best Tonneau Cover for Ford F-150:
- Our Recommendations
- REVIEWS YOU CAN TRUST
- Best of both worlds: Tyger Auto Soft Top Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover – the best tonneau cover for Ford F-150
- Roll ‘em up: MaxMate Soft Roll Up Tonneau Cover
- Not everyone can do that: BAKFlip G2 Hard Folding Tonneau Cover
- Premium Choice: RetraxPro XR Retractable Tonneau Cover
- Not for later: Gator Hybrid Hard Folding Tonneau Cover
- Final thoughts on Best Tonneau Cover for F150
The 5 Best Tonneau Cover for Ford F-150:
- Tyger Auto Soft Top Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover – the best tonneau cover for Ford F-150
- MaxMate Soft Roll Up Tonneau Cover
- BAKFlip G2 Hard Folding Tonneau Cover
- RetraxPro XR Retractable Tonneau Cover
- Gator Hybrid Hard Folding Tonneau Cover
REVIEWS YOU CAN TRUST
We strive to always give you genuine, accurate information. To do this, all of mechanicguides.com reviews are based on market research, expert input, and practical experience. This knowledge comes from a team of automotive journalists and an independent mechanic, Steve “Whip” Whipple who has 11 years of experience in the auto industry. For more information, see here.
Best of both worlds: Tyger Auto Soft Top Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover – the best tonneau cover for Ford F-150
- US Design Patented
- Cover is dual-coated and made out of heavy duty 24oz. marine-grade vinyl, with aircraft-grade aluminum frames, and comes with stainless steel clamps for easy installation and great durability.
- pre-assembled horizontal crossbars offer support and conveniently fold up with the cover providing full bed access when needed.
- Easy no drilling installation with instruction and mounting hardware provided. | NOTE: Small holes will need to be cut in the bedliner for vehicles equipped with over-the-bedrail bedliner to secure the clamps for proper cover installation; cover will work with under-the-bedrail bedliner without modification.
- LIMITED LIFETIME ! | IMPORTANT: Please measure your truck bed size before ordering. We accept returns; however customer will assume the return shipping cost if ordered wrong.
Out of 72 truck users polled, 45% recommended the Tyger Auto Soft. This is the people’s choice and our choice when it comes to the best tonneau cover for Ford F150.
Among the different types of tonneau covers, the soft-top has two major advantages: it’s easier to fold, and it weighs less. The high-quality material means it offers some protection to the bed, and there’s some weather protection as well.
The cover itself is supported by an aluminum frame bolted onto the body with steel clamps. Since this is a tri-fold mechanism, getting partial access to the bed is easy, and whenever you need to load or unload bigger items, that’s just a fold away. The cover itself is said to be made of heavy-duty vinyl, the tension control for the cover is pre-set, and it does offer weather protection.
It’s almost a plug-n-play tonneau cover for F-150, but small holes need to be cut in the bed liner to place the clams. But, then after that, you can put away the drill. Both the instructions and mounting hardware are included in the package. The Tyger Auto tonneau cover for Ford F-150 is backed by a limited lifetime warranty, and the product we’ve included here is compatible with the Ford F-150 trucks made with the model years 2015 – 2019.
What do we think of it?
It’s not as protective as something like a hardcover or even a tri-fold hard bed cover, but at a lower cost, this serves the purpose. The model mentioned here is for the 6.5-ft bed, but please get in touch with the seller for further information about compatibility. Some users have mentioned that water can leak while others have maintained that the fit is super-tight, and water doesn’t leak at all. There’s also a claimed gas mileage increase of up to 13 percent — we doubt it can be that huge a difference unless you’ve been lugging around a billboard all this while.
- Lifetime warranty
- Limited protection
Roll ‘em up: MaxMate Soft Roll Up Tonneau Cover
Priced less than the soft-top tri-fold cover mentioned above, the MaxMate Tonneau Cover for Ford F-150 does the job, comes backed by a 10-year warranty, and it’s easy to install. The low price is down to the fact that it’s a fabric top attached to a roll-up mechanism.
Aluminum rails and steel clamps
That means while it’s easy for accessing the cab, it doesn’t provide as much protection as other types of tonneau covers for F-150. The material is said to be heavy-duty vinyl, which ideally should withstand years of use without an issue. The rolling mechanism consists of aluminum rails and steel clamps are used to mount the cover onto the bed. The version here is made for the Ford F-150 with the model years 2015 – 2020 and an 8-ft bed.
What do we think of it?
It’s a good cost-effective solution, and certainly provides much more protection than an open bed. This also enhances the visual appeal of the truck. And since you can adjust the tension, if you think the cover has started to slack, you can always bring it back to its original shape. Users have appreciated that for relatively little money, it does the job well. But a good fit here is key, which is why we’d suggest you get in touch with the seller with the exact dimensions and your specific truck model to get the best fit.
- Partial access
- Limited protection
Not everyone can do that: BAKFlip G2 Hard Folding Tonneau Cover
- Fits 2015-20 Ford F150 5'6inches Bed
- 100% BED ACCESS: The low-profile BAKFlip G2 hard folding cover allows you to drive with the cover fully closed, folded, or flipped up without covering the 3rd brake light
- ENHANCED SECURITY: This cover features durable aluminum panels and an automatic latching system, providing greater security over vinyl covers. The G2 is operational from either side of the truck bed with quick-release cables under the panels
- ENHANCED FUNCTIONALITY: The G2’s prop rods hold the cover upright while open and they securely stow away when the cover is partially or fully closed. The dual-action tailgate seal allows you to close the tailgate with the cover open or closed. BAKBox2 compatible
- WE’VE GOT YOUR BAK: Make your purchase with confidence. The BAKFlip G2 tonneau cover is weight rated up to 300 lbs., is easy to install, and has a 3-year, hassle-free warranty. The G2 is proudly made in the USA with a US-based support team
What can’t everyone do? A Backflip or BAKFlip if you will. But also the way this tonneau cover for F-150 is designed, it does things that neither softcovers nor the full one-piece hardcovers can manage. And what might that be?
To start, it offers the protection of a hardcover but with the ability to access the bed like you would with a tri-fold softcover. This means partial access isn’t a pain, and even when you fold the entire thing, the third brake light is still visible. Easy to install, the cover is made of aluminum panels, with a solid dual-action tailgate seal (which further ensures weather sealing is top-notch). It also has automatic latching panels for more secure use, and it’s UV-resistant so it won’t fade as much due to the sun.
It comes with a glossy finish, and since it sits low, it means the truck looks cleaner from the rear. There’s a 2-year warranty, and it’s tested to deal with up to 300 lb of evenly distributed weight. This example here fits the 5ft 6in bed on the Ford F-150 trucks made with the model years 2015 – 2019.
What do we think of it?
It looks like a great product, and while users like how it looks, there have been some quality-related concerns. It’s also easier to scratch, mention certain users, which at this price point might be upsetting.
- Hardcover protection
- Partial access
Premium Choice: RetraxPro XR Retractable Tonneau Cover
- Retractable truck bed cover with integrated Trax Rail System for accessory customization and a stylish matte finish. *Crossbars sold separately*
- Trax Rail System provides increased cargo capacity above and below the cover. Compatible with most T-Slot accessories. From Yakima, Thule and Rhino Rack and many more.
- Cover maintains full functionality even with cargo loaded on top, and is key lockable in any position.
- Low-profile patented design that streamlines the overall appearance and provides a firm seal around the perimeter.
- Made in the USA and backed by a Limited Lifetime Warranty.
The premium pricing lets you know that the RetraxPRO has something very different to offer from the other popular choices we’ve discussed while talking about the best tonneau cover for Ford F150. It’s twice as expensive as the hard-folding one mentioned right before this. But let’s not make the price do the talking.
Let’s look at what it offers. It’s a hardcover that can be folded and retracted without protruding like a tri-fold or having a roll sit outside like a roll-up. It instead works like a roll-up cover but folds inside, has a much stronger ability (it can withstand balanced loads of up to 500 lb), and looks way better than anything else featured here.
Great partial access; sealed tight
The other aspect that stands out is that you can very easily key lock the cover in whichever position you want, so partial access is possibly the best here. Since it’s sealed tight, weather protection isn’t a problem. And there’s even an extra lock on the outside, to ensure it stays out of sight and access of the prying eyes and hands.
While it’s not electrically operated (a shame considering the price), it comes with rack-compatible rails, so you can pick up your favorite pair of crossbars and fit them over it. That not only makes it more practical but also looks way cooler as well. And to top it all, apart from the limited lifetime warranty, the RetraxPRO tonneau cover also comes with a drainage system, to ensure that the bed underneath stays dry always.
What do we think of it?
It’s an amazing product, only marred by its high price. The users are overall happy with it. It’s easy to install, and the reassuring warranty coverage makes the deal even sweeter. The Amazon seller mentions that the tonneau cover is compatible with Ford F-150 Super Crew and Super Cab versions with a 5.5ft bed and made with the model years 2009 – 2014. But we’d still advise you to check with the seller if it’ll fit your truck.
- Looks great
- Great fit
- Partial access but with hardcover’s protection
- Very expensive
Not for later: Gator Hybrid Hard Folding Tonneau Cover
- Hard tri-fold with soft cover looks
- Durable Black Aluminum Frame with hard ABS Plastic Panels covered in Industrial Grade Matte Black Vinyl
- Weather resistant EPMD seals on sides and a rear fin seal for ultimate water resistance
- Stainless Steel Hinge Pins keeps the cover strong and resistance to weather.
- Made in USA with a Limited Lifetime Warrany. Easy at Home Installation
If you’re looking at finding a niche within a niche, here’s one good way to do that. You see the softcovers lack protection, and the hardcovers lack versatility. But if there was a softcover that acted as a hardcover but without losing its flexibility, how bout that! That’s this Gator Tonneau Cover for you.
It’s a tri-fold cover with plastic panels (unlike the BAKFlip G2’s aluminum ones), has a clean overall look (thanks to the matte black vinyl on it), and is backed by an aluminum frame and steel hinges. It also includes weather seals on the sides and a rear fin to keep the bed protected.
Easy to install, the cover poses no problems to partial access at all. And when you want 100 percent bed access, the cover can be taken off in minutes — otherwise, it’s a 2/3 opening with the three panels stacked atop each other. It’s backed by a limited lifetime warranty and is compatible with 2015 – 2019 Ford F-150 5.5ft bed.
What do we think of it?
It’s a good compromise between a hard tri-fold and a soft tri-fold. So while this Gator bed cover is less expensive, it also can withstand less weight (100 lb) but is backed by a solid lifetime warranty.
- Plastic panels offer limited protection
Final thoughts on Best Tonneau Cover for F150
Choosing a tonneau cover should ideally start with prioritizing what you want from it. If you’re looking for a value-for-money solution, then the softcover is a no brainer. There are two types in that: the Tyger Auto Soft Tri-Fold cover and the MaxMate Soft Roll-up cover. The amount of protection is going to be limited because of the internal construction, but choose either and you’d get a much sleeker-looking rear end of the truck. And with some degree of protection from the environment, it’s much better than leaving the bed open. But if you want something more rugged, then there’s the BAKFlip G2 folding hardcover. Its aluminum panels ensure the bed’s safe underneath, whereas with the tri-fold mechanism, partial access isn’t a problem at all. It’s on the expensive side, and alternately, you can also check out the Gator Hybrid cover that has plastic panels instead of aluminum. While that’s a clear compromise, you still get a hardcover and at a lower price. But if price wasn’t a concern, the RetraxPro XR Retractable cover is an easy choice.
Mud Flaps For F150
F150 Seat Covers
Exhaust For 3.5 F150 Ecoboost
Tuner For F150 Ecoboost
Sounding Exhaust For F150 Ecoboost
Shocks For F350 Super Duty
Shocks For Ford F150 4X4
Leveling Kit For 2015 F150
Programmer For 4.6 F150
Tonneau Cover For F150
Cold Intake For F150 Ecoboost
Tuner For 5.0 F150
2021 Ford F150
Lift Kit For F250 Super Duty
Shocks For F150 2Wd
Battery For F150
Brake Pads For Ford F150 4X4
Replacement Shocks For Ford Ranger
Cam For 302 Ford Truck
F150 Leveling Kit
F150 FAQs – Commonly Asked Questions, Answered